Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering off a gold tip

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with my model and was hoping someone could help me out. I am trying to model what happens when a frequency of light washes over a small tip of gold. My model is very similar to the Optical Scattering Off of a Gold Nanosphere model within COMSOL. I have successfully meshed my geometry as well as set up all the necessary parameters for the physics I am trying to solve, yet when I finally try to compute the study I get the following error message:

Failed to find a solution.
Singular matrix.

For mesh-case 0 there are 8808 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod2.E10.
and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix).
Returned solution is not converged.

I have no real idea on what is causing the error or how to fix it so any help on the matter would be great.I included my model as well. Also the model has a lot of seemingly excess geometry but that is because I will be using the rest of it at a later time to model the heat flow within the tip of gold, however for now I don't want to solve for it which is why it is disabled.

Thank you,
Connor

0 Replies Last Post 8 août 2013, 20:05 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Connor Johnson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.