Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which interface choose for fluid flow with heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day!

I would like to ask for an advice.
I wish to solve the following problem: I have a plate of a solid material with low thermal conductivity. There is a pipe with cold water inside the plate. The water flows throuth the pipe with a fixed rate and goes outside. I need to simulate the temperature field in this system.
I'm not sure which interface I should use: "Conjugate Heat Transfer" or "HT -> HT in fluids".

Thanks!

With best regars,
Irina

5 Replies Last Post 13 déc. 2016, 02:57 UTC−5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 août 2013, 16:24 UTC−4
Irina,

You can solve your problem with ether “Conjugate Heat Transfer” or “Heat Transfer in Fluids”. There are number of examples of this type of problem in the Model Library (Heat Transfer Module>Tutorial Models, Forced and Natural Convection, for example).

Generally, solver setting in Conjugate Heat Transfer is more robust and stable for convective-dominant problems.

Regards,
Sergei
Irina, You can solve your problem with ether “Conjugate Heat Transfer” or “Heat Transfer in Fluids”. There are number of examples of this type of problem in the Model Library (Heat Transfer Module>Tutorial Models, Forced and Natural Convection, for example). Generally, solver setting in Conjugate Heat Transfer is more robust and stable for convective-dominant problems. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 août 2013, 08:07 UTC−4
Sergei,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I would like to ask: is there a need to use the "Non-Isothermal Pipe Flow" module for such purposes or I can use the standard HT and CFD modules?

Best wishes,
Irina
Sergei, Thank you very much for your reply. I would like to ask: is there a need to use the "Non-Isothermal Pipe Flow" module for such purposes or I can use the standard HT and CFD modules? Best wishes, Irina

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2013, 10:45 UTC−4
Irina,

Yes, you can use standard HT and CFD interfaces to model this type of problem. You would need manually couple energy and momentum balance equations, although this coupling is quite straightforward.

Non-Isothermal Pipe Flow is a simplification: pipe is treated as 1D system and experimental correlations are used to model flow and heat transfer along the pipe length (you wouldn’t get cross-sectional distributions for the flow and temperature). This interface allows to model huge pipe systems but accuracy is somewhat sacrificed.

Regards,
Sergei
Irina, Yes, you can use standard HT and CFD interfaces to model this type of problem. You would need manually couple energy and momentum balance equations, although this coupling is quite straightforward. Non-Isothermal Pipe Flow is a simplification: pipe is treated as 1D system and experimental correlations are used to model flow and heat transfer along the pipe length (you wouldn’t get cross-sectional distributions for the flow and temperature). This interface allows to model huge pipe systems but accuracy is somewhat sacrificed. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 10 août 2016, 12:39 UTC−4
Hi!! please help me
my model is solid with heat flux on the upper face and fluid moving under lower face , I used Conjugate heat transfer
,but the result show that there are no heat transfer between solid and liquid!!
Hi!! please help me my model is solid with heat flux on the upper face and fluid moving under lower face , I used Conjugate heat transfer ,but the result show that there are no heat transfer between solid and liquid!!

Posted: 8 years ago 13 déc. 2016, 02:57 UTC−5
Hi, have you solved that issue? I am using Conjugate heat transfer, but I notice no heat transfer between solid and fluid in my solution... Thank you in advance!
Hi, have you solved that issue? I am using Conjugate heat transfer, but I notice no heat transfer between solid and fluid in my solution... Thank you in advance!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.