Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Relation between the norm of a vector and its components

Nestor Bolaños Rodriguez

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, i'd like to know the relation between the quantities normJ and the components of the vector J (Jr, Jphi, Jz). I have simulated a coil group domain driven by a current of 10A.

The components Jr and Jz are equal to zero. So the vector J should be J=(0,Jphi,0)

A vector norm in 3D is defined as norm(v)=sqrt(v1^2+v2^2+v3^2), i.e. the square root of the sum of the norm of its components. In the above mentioned case, I would expect normJ and the Jphi component to have the same value, but it doesn't happen.

Unfortunately I cannot find any explanation of the relation of these current density quantities in the documentation set. If somebody could enlight my mind, this would be much appreciated.

3 Replies Last Post 1 juil. 2013, 04:54 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juin 2013, 16:29 UTC−4

Nestor,

all the field quantities can be complex. However, the plots only show the real part of the complex number.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Nestor, all the field quantities can be complex. However, the plots only show the real part of the complex number. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Nestor Bolaños Rodriguez

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juin 2013, 20:30 UTC−4
Thanks for the reply, just two more questions:

1. which of the both expressions (normJ , Jphi) represent the real value of the current density. I think its normJ but i'm not sure.

2. If you look at the Jphi plot, there are positive and negative values. Although only the real part of the current is shown. Do the positive and negative signs mean that the current is flowing in opposite directions?
Thanks for the reply, just two more questions: 1. which of the both expressions (normJ , Jphi) represent the real value of the current density. I think its normJ but i'm not sure. 2. If you look at the Jphi plot, there are positive and negative values. Although only the real part of the current is shown. Do the positive and negative signs mean that the current is flowing in opposite directions?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 juil. 2013, 04:54 UTC−4

The norm is real and positive by its defintion, the Jphi component can be complex. And Jphi in your picture obviously goes in both directions, looks like eddy currents.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
The norm is real and positive by its defintion, the Jphi component can be complex. And Jphi in your picture obviously goes in both directions, looks like eddy currents. -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.