Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Distribution of concentration of species that depends on velocity field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have set-up a simple rectangular geometry that consists of a rectangle, an inlet and an outlet. As a flow-medium I use air. Next, I have solved for the stationary velocity field, using the laminar-flow module.

As a next step, I put a concentration of a species at the inlet and want to investigate how the fluid field transports the species across the geometry. I solve this in a stationary study as well.

Next, however, I want to take into account that the concentration of my species varies across the geometry. In the x direction, this variation is given by

(change in concentration) = -(some constant) * exp(some constant) * dx / (velocity in x direction)

, where dx is a small step in the x direction. The change in the y direction is the same, only with x substituted for y.

Clearly, this is a function of my computed velocity field. Now the question is: how can I setup such a function so that I can use it for further studies in my COMSOL model?

I have tried to this with adding an analytic function, but I cannot figure out how to access the components of the computed velocity field as an input to a function.

0 Replies Last Post 25 juin 2013, 09:59 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello sebastian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.