Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of composite laminates

Tesfaye Tadesse Molla

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Do you have any idea of modeling (simulation) of laminates , e.g. bi-layer composites having layers with different elastic modulus avoiding the so called 'free edge effect' (a stress singularity at the free edge).

i am using Comsol 4.3b and having this problem while i try to work with modeling creep in bi-layers

thanks for your time
-Tesfaye

1 Reply Last Post 31 mars 2017, 03:18 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tesfaye Tadesse Molla

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 31 mars 2017, 03:18 UTC−4
Hello Tesfaye,

Could you find a proper way of getting around the singularity? I'm dealing with the same problem. I'd like to set up a model to investigate in the thermomechanical behaviour of CMC's, but none of my approaches led to convergence of the interlaminar stresses.

I was thinking about smoothening the properties with a step-function within a "thin elastic layer", but I think I'm missing information within this approach since we're dealing with anisotropic materials.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you,

Tobias Krüger

Hello Tesfaye, Could you find a proper way of getting around the singularity? I'm dealing with the same problem. I'd like to set up a model to investigate in the thermomechanical behaviour of CMC's, but none of my approaches led to convergence of the interlaminar stresses. I was thinking about smoothening the properties with a step-function within a "thin elastic layer", but I think I'm missing information within this approach since we're dealing with anisotropic materials. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you, Tobias Krüger

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.