Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impulse Response of a simple structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I would like to simulate a simple structure under the action of an impulsive force.
The structure is a free-clamped cantilever, where the impulse force is applied at the free end.

The stationary study gives no problem at all, so I define magnitude and direction of the static load and I obtain the displacement (or other mechanical parameters) of the structure.

However I have no idea of how to define an impulsive load.
I set a Time dependent study, but the load keeps being static.

I'm using comsol 4.3.

Thanks in advance to whoever is going to help :)
(I'm quite sure it's pretty easy to do, even though I couldn't find any tutorial on this matter).

4 Replies Last Post 26 sept. 2013, 15:35 UTC−4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 juin 2013, 05:17 UTC−4
Hi Jasha,

have a look at the tutorial "bracket transient" in the Model Library for the Structural Mechanics Module.

Best regards,

Sven Friedel
Hi Jasha, have a look at the tutorial "bracket transient" in the Model Library for the Structural Mechanics Module. Best regards, Sven Friedel

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 juin 2013, 05:38 UTC−4
Hi Sven, and thank you for answering.

I finally managed to define an impulsive load, and I can get the time-dependent simulation to run.

However, I have another problem since comsol seems not to integrate structural friction. Any ideas on how I can introduce such mechanism?

Thank you again
Jasha
Hi Sven, and thank you for answering. I finally managed to define an impulsive load, and I can get the time-dependent simulation to run. However, I have another problem since comsol seems not to integrate structural friction. Any ideas on how I can introduce such mechanism? Thank you again Jasha

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 sept. 2013, 15:35 UTC−4
You can include it as structural loss factor under damping in linear elastic material.

--
RUBAN SUGUMAR
You can include it as structural loss factor under damping in linear elastic material. -- RUBAN SUGUMAR

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 sept. 2013, 15:35 UTC−4
Physics(Solid Mechanics)>Linear Elastic Materisl>Damping(add it) and modify the settings

--
RUBAN SUGUMAR
Physics(Solid Mechanics)>Linear Elastic Materisl>Damping(add it) and modify the settings -- RUBAN SUGUMAR

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.