Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Anisotropic Magnetoresistance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I need to simulate an AMR sensor, which is a magnetometer, whose working principle is based on the Anisotropic Magnetoresistance. The sensor is made of a thin strip of permalloy, a ferromagnetic material, with its typical hysteretic behaviour (M-H curve). The material is anisotropic, which means that its behaviour depends on the direction of the external Magnetic Field H. Due to this Magnetic Field H, the Magnetization Vector M rotates. The resistivity of the sensor depends of the angle between the Current I flowing through the sensor and the Magnetization Vector M.

First problems are:
- How to define the material (it's not included into the Material Library). Is there in the Material Library any similar material with the same properties? How can I insert my M-H curve (with hysteresis) into the model from data?
- How can I define an intrinsic Magnetization Vector M of the material?
- Which is the proper model to describe this sensor? I think it's the Magnetic Fields No Currents one, but I'm not sure.

The main problem is:
- How can I get the rotation of the Magnetization Vector M?

Thank you!
Paolo

1 Reply Last Post 27 sept. 2016, 23:27 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paolo Minotti

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 27 sept. 2016, 23:27 UTC−4
Hello Paolo!

I'm a beginner for COMSOL Multiphysics, and I need to simulate the 2D magnetoresistance of a PN Junction.I'm using the comsol 5.0, but I don't know which physics I should select in the "Add Physics" section in comsol.Fortunately,I found your post in the comsol discussion forum,so I decide to send the message to you,I hope that you can help me to solve the problem. If it's not a problem for you ,please describe in detail these steps of modelling. I will also very much appreciate for your corresponding recommendations in this modelling question.Thank you very much!

Sincerely,Huaa Wen
Hello Paolo! I'm a beginner for COMSOL Multiphysics, and I need to simulate the 2D magnetoresistance of a PN Junction.I'm using the comsol 5.0, but I don't know which physics I should select in the "Add Physics" section in comsol.Fortunately,I found your post in the comsol discussion forum,so I decide to send the message to you,I hope that you can help me to solve the problem. If it's not a problem for you ,please describe in detail these steps of modelling. I will also very much appreciate for your corresponding recommendations in this modelling question.Thank you very much! Sincerely,Huaa Wen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.