Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem with 2d force calculation in rf module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,
i am a neophyte.. i am trying to simulate the force on a dielectric particle by Maxwell stress tensor method.. but i stuck at the very beginning..
The problem is that I have to define an electric field that has only x component (Ex) and it is propagating in the z direction that means Ex = exp(-i*k*z), Ey = Ez = 0. Here k is the usual wavenumber defined by me (2*pi)/wavelength not the emw.k0.
Now, whenever I try to define this in COMSOL 2D, it gives me an error message saying "failed to evaluate variable : z" !
How can I define a z propagating E field in comsol 2d?
Please note that the 2D plane is x-y plane and i cannot change it as x-z plane which i want it to be..

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 19 août 2014, 22:46 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rivnat Chowdhury

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 19 août 2014, 22:46 UTC−4
Hi Chowdhury
I have a problem ablut the force calculation. I use the Maxwell stress tensor to get the force exerted on a dielectric particle . But the result is not so good.

I don't know the difference between 'emw.unTx' and 'emw.dnTx' .

We can have a discuss.

Thank you !
Hi Chowdhury I have a problem ablut the force calculation. I use the Maxwell stress tensor to get the force exerted on a dielectric particle . But the result is not so good. I don't know the difference between 'emw.unTx' and 'emw.dnTx' . We can have a discuss. Thank you !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.