Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

acceleration due to gravity Laminar flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to give acceleration due to gravity effects to fluid in Laminar pipe flow, any one know how to give,?????

I have tried by applying domain volume force like 9.81*density of fluid but i am not sure it is right ???

any suggestions??

2 Replies Last Post 1 mai 2013, 03:29 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mai 2013, 02:20 UTC−4
Hi

what is wrong by adding a "body force" like that ? use the internal "g_const" for the gravity acceleration see help "physical constants"

but think of your model i.e. in 2D-axi you can only simulate gravity along the vertical +/- Z direction, as otherwise you add a radial force, hence you are in a special rotating tube case

un CFD still you have also the pressure build-up with height (along gravity vector direction as Dp = g_const*rho*(z-z0)

COMSOL acts on the infinitesimal element volume dx*dy*dz so if you multiply

integral_over_domain g_const*rho*dx*dy*dz you get to the force in Newton [N=m/s^2*kg/m^3*m*m*m ]

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what is wrong by adding a "body force" like that ? use the internal "g_const" for the gravity acceleration see help "physical constants" but think of your model i.e. in 2D-axi you can only simulate gravity along the vertical +/- Z direction, as otherwise you add a radial force, hence you are in a special rotating tube case un CFD still you have also the pressure build-up with height (along gravity vector direction as Dp = g_const*rho*(z-z0) COMSOL acts on the infinitesimal element volume dx*dy*dz so if you multiply integral_over_domain g_const*rho*dx*dy*dz you get to the force in Newton [N=m/s^2*kg/m^3*m*m*m ] -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mai 2013, 03:29 UTC−4
Thanks alot Ivar, my problem is 3D and i think your help worked me
Thanks alot Ivar, my problem is 3D and i think your help worked me

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.