Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of an hydraulic accumulator for pulsation reducing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL community,

I am trying to do a transient simulation of an accumulator in a hydraulic circuit. For simplification, the accumulator shall be placed as a bubble of a second fluid domain inside the domain of the hydraulic oil circuit. The bubble shall not mix up with the hydraulic oil domain and it shall not move. But of course, it must be deformable and the density of the bubble needs to be dependent on the surrounding pressure. Also, the E-module of the accumulator bubble needs to be considered.

Has anyone done a similar simulation or can give me an idea how to start? I'm not sure wether I have to use an additional structural mechanics physic for the deformation for the bubble and a moving mesh physic, or if I can simply use one fluid flow physic with two fluids.

Thank you for every kind of idea!

Julian

1 Reply Last Post 18 avr. 2013, 10:46 UTC−4
Erik Bornhöft COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2013, 10:46 UTC−4
Hi,

combining two fluids that share a boundary but do not mix is possible by using one of the "two-phase flow interfaces". Like you describe it, the topology of your geometry will not change (the bubble will stay one bubble, only changing in shape/size) and therefore I would recommend the "Two-phase flow, Moving Mesh, laminar" interface (Microfluidics Module). The deformation of the bubble will depend on the surface tension of the fluid. Maybe you would like to add automatic transient remeshing for larger deformations.

--
Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Erik

Erik Bornhöft
Senior Technical Sales Engineer
COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH
Berliner Str. 4
37073 Göttingen
Germany

Knowledge Base:
www.comsol.de/support/knowledgebase/browse/900/

COMSOL Blog:
www.comsol.de/blogs/
Hi, combining two fluids that share a boundary but do not mix is possible by using one of the "two-phase flow interfaces". Like you describe it, the topology of your geometry will not change (the bubble will stay one bubble, only changing in shape/size) and therefore I would recommend the "Two-phase flow, Moving Mesh, laminar" interface (Microfluidics Module). The deformation of the bubble will depend on the surface tension of the fluid. Maybe you would like to add automatic transient remeshing for larger deformations. -- Hope that helps! Best regards, Erik ********************* Erik Bornhöft Senior Technical Sales Engineer COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH Berliner Str. 4 37073 Göttingen Germany Knowledge Base: http://www.comsol.de/support/knowledgebase/browse/900/ COMSOL Blog: http://www.comsol.de/blogs/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.