Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI Modelling Capabilities?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I am modelling a tube which acts as hyperelastic material. Inside the tube there is a fluid. Third object suppose to push this tube in one direction. Tubes edges are constrained. The problem is that when you leave no gap between pusher object and the tube, and form geometry as a union, you get a "glued" system - pusher is always bounded with a tube at the intersection point, and that way is no good. As i try forming geometry in an assembly mode other problems arise. Fluid-Structure interface boundary condition is no longer available and solver did not converge. So is there any way of simulating this kind of system?

Simulation performed without a pusher object and with a boundary load condition works, but it would be better if it would work with a pusher object.

Thank you

3 Replies Last Post 15 sept. 2016, 00:21 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Edgaras

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 12 sept. 2016, 01:17 UTC−4
Does anyone encounter the same problem and have experience about it? If the "form assembly" is selected in last step in geometry setup, the fluid-solid interaction entity is not available, the fluid-solid boundary is not applicable if you choose them.
Does anyone encounter the same problem and have experience about it? If the "form assembly" is selected in last step in geometry setup, the fluid-solid interaction entity is not available, the fluid-solid boundary is not applicable if you choose them.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 13 sept. 2016, 13:26 UTC−4
Hi Zeng,

The fluid-structure boundary automatically detected by COMSOL requires a unioned geometry, I believe. COMSOL detects if you have a solid at one side and a fluid at the other side of the same surface (line in 2D), and creates the FSI boundary. If there is contact as in the case Edgaras described above you can add a Union operation before the final Assembly to connect the domains that make up the FSI boundary.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Zeng, The fluid-structure boundary automatically detected by COMSOL requires a unioned geometry, I believe. COMSOL detects if you have a solid at one side and a fluid at the other side of the same surface (line in 2D), and creates the FSI boundary. If there is contact as in the case Edgaras described above you can add a Union operation before the final Assembly to connect the domains that make up the FSI boundary. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 8 years ago 15 sept. 2016, 00:21 UTC−4
Dear Nagi,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I followed your advice and set up a simple model to implement it. stack three rectangular vertically. and suppose the intermediate rectangular denotes the fluid domain, and upper and lower two rectangular denotes solid domains. With "Union" before "form assembly", the upper fluid-solid interface is applicable to FSI tab, but for the lower fluid-solid interface, it's still not applicable to FSI. For this sample, can you give me some idea about it?

Thanks for your any comments.

Zeng
Dear Nagi, Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I followed your advice and set up a simple model to implement it. stack three rectangular vertically. and suppose the intermediate rectangular denotes the fluid domain, and upper and lower two rectangular denotes solid domains. With "Union" before "form assembly", the upper fluid-solid interface is applicable to FSI tab, but for the lower fluid-solid interface, it's still not applicable to FSI. For this sample, can you give me some idea about it? Thanks for your any comments. Zeng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.