Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using a derived variable as an input variable for another study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have searched through a lot of these threads but I can't seem to find a good answer.

I have applied an oscillating body load to a resonating structure (Model 1) and I am able to plot the displacement (u) of a particular point (93) in the geometry as a function of time. Now I need to use the displacement of that point as an expression for the prescribed deformation of a Moving Mesh in Model 2.

How do I map the displacement (u) of that point (93) from Solid Mechanics of Model 1 to the Moving Mesh of Model 2?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

2 Replies Last Post 31 mars 2013, 07:21 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mars 2013, 03:21 UTC−4
Hi

if you have separate models, the easiest is to export the "u" value into a file and then import it as an interpolation function to drive your displacement in the other model.

Only thing, point loads in anything larger than 1D physics tend to make singularities, locally the results are often quite wrong, but globally they are often acceptable

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have separate models, the easiest is to export the "u" value into a file and then import it as an interpolation function to drive your displacement in the other model. Only thing, point loads in anything larger than 1D physics tend to make singularities, locally the results are often quite wrong, but globally they are often acceptable -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mars 2013, 07:21 UTC−4
Thanks, I will give that a try.
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.