Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectrophoresis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there. I tried to observe the particle movement effect through the "particle tracing for fluid module". However, the result of particle trajectories didn't show up any particle movement. Please help. Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 29 sept. 2014, 04:45 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 avr. 2013, 10:40 UTC−4
Hi,

maybe time steps are too large.

Try with small time steps

Navid
Hi, maybe time steps are too large. Try with small time steps Navid

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 juil. 2013, 04:23 UTC−4
Hi,
I'm also simulating similar case with yours^^

First I used 'Laminar Flow module' with stationary solver (GMRES),
As there are non-symmetric matrices in convective term of N-S equation, GMRES is effective.
Then I added two modules, 'Electrostatics' and 'Electric Current' module.
As Vdc+Vac = V1+V2cos(wt+phi) like this, Electrostatics module for DC, and Electric Current for AC.
And solve both moduleswith frequency domain solver (BiCGStab)
Because of AC, complex expressions are contained, so this solver will be useful.
Although some warning message will be appeared when solving Electrostatics module with frequency domain, there will be no problem.
Then, add 'Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow' module, and add two 'Dielectrophoretic force' setting.
One for DC (electric field(es/ccn)), and the other for AC (electric field(ec/ccn)).
And solve particle trajectories or time-dependent solver.
You can couple models successfully.

Note that it's some method by my personal experience, so if you have better idea, you don't need to follow these steps.

Good luck to your work^^
CH2
Hi, I'm also simulating similar case with yours^^ First I used 'Laminar Flow module' with stationary solver (GMRES), As there are non-symmetric matrices in convective term of N-S equation, GMRES is effective. Then I added two modules, 'Electrostatics' and 'Electric Current' module. As Vdc+Vac = V1+V2cos(wt+phi) like this, Electrostatics module for DC, and Electric Current for AC. And solve both moduleswith frequency domain solver (BiCGStab) Because of AC, complex expressions are contained, so this solver will be useful. Although some warning message will be appeared when solving Electrostatics module with frequency domain, there will be no problem. Then, add 'Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow' module, and add two 'Dielectrophoretic force' setting. One for DC (electric field(es/ccn)), and the other for AC (electric field(ec/ccn)). And solve particle trajectories or time-dependent solver. You can couple models successfully. Note that it's some method by my personal experience, so if you have better idea, you don't need to follow these steps. Good luck to your work^^ CH2

Posted: 10 years ago 29 sept. 2014, 04:45 UTC−4
I have a question regarding the solver while solving the dielectrophoresis:

I have amodel with microchannel witha fluid (water) and four electrodes for focusing the particle in the channel (i applied a 10Vpp AC field @ 2Hz), then i introduce the particle tracing with drag force and dielectrophoresis force.
so i consider a model ; where i have laminar flow, electric current and particle tracing(dielectrophoresis)
study steps:
study 1 : step 1--> stationary laminar flow
step 2--> time dependent flow (electric current)
study 2: step 1: time depenednt particle tracing
intial value dependent on study 1

also
study 1 : step 1--> stationary laminar flow

study 2: step 1--> time dependent flow (electric current)
step 2 --> time depenednt particle tracing
intial value dependent on study 1

also
Study 3: step1 --> stationary laminar flow
step 2 --> time dependent (electric current)
step 3--> time dependent particle tracing

I have no dielectrophoresis effect on the particle in the micro channel, they have the normal flow.

I have a question regarding the solver while solving the dielectrophoresis: I have amodel with microchannel witha fluid (water) and four electrodes for focusing the particle in the channel (i applied a 10Vpp AC field @ 2Hz), then i introduce the particle tracing with drag force and dielectrophoresis force. so i consider a model ; where i have laminar flow, electric current and particle tracing(dielectrophoresis) study steps: study 1 : step 1--> stationary laminar flow step 2--> time dependent flow (electric current) study 2: step 1: time depenednt particle tracing intial value dependent on study 1 also study 1 : step 1--> stationary laminar flow study 2: step 1--> time dependent flow (electric current) step 2 --> time depenednt particle tracing intial value dependent on study 1 also Study 3: step1 --> stationary laminar flow step 2 --> time dependent (electric current) step 3--> time dependent particle tracing I have no dielectrophoresis effect on the particle in the micro channel, they have the normal flow.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.