Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mechanical Hysteresis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I tried searching but couldn’t find much.

I am modelling a thin metallic diaphragm deflected under a pressure load. I would like to look at the effect of including a "mechanical hysteresis" effect i.e. different loading and unloading curves.

Ideally this would be through anelasticity in the material leading to a time-independent hysteresis effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be achieved?

Obviosuly I can not use a linear elastic model, but I am not sure that the visco elastic model is suitable either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

3 Replies Last Post 18 oct. 2016, 18:59 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthew Malkin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 31 août 2016, 06:19 UTC−4
Hi,

I saw your post and I am interested to know if you found a solution to modelling hysteresis.

I am trying to modelling the effect of bowing on hysteresis for a thin silica diaphragm .
Hi, I saw your post and I am interested to know if you found a solution to modelling hysteresis. I am trying to modelling the effect of bowing on hysteresis for a thin silica diaphragm .

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 31 août 2016, 13:24 UTC−4
Hi Alexis,

You can model hysteresis using material models like the one described in this presentation I gave in the COMSOL conference last year:

www.comsol.com/paper/download/257801/elabbasi_presentation.pdf

The PolyUMod library that has these material models works with COMSOL Multiphysics via the External Material functionality.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Alexis, You can model hysteresis using material models like the one described in this presentation I gave in the COMSOL conference last year: https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/257801/elabbasi_presentation.pdf The PolyUMod library that has these material models works with COMSOL Multiphysics via the External Material functionality. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 8 years ago 18 oct. 2016, 18:59 UTC−4
Hi Nagi,

I recently saw the video on modeling polymeric materials by Jorgen at your company: (www.comsol.com/video/modeling-nonlinear-materials-comsol-multiphysics)

I'm in the middle of defining my own external materials (magnetostrive, not polymeric), and I was curious how you developed the Interface Type: Lagrangian Interface to PolyUMod. I can't seem to find any documents to specify how to create your own interface, any advice you can provide would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Hi Nagi, I recently saw the video on modeling polymeric materials by Jorgen at your company: (https://www.comsol.com/video/modeling-nonlinear-materials-comsol-multiphysics) I'm in the middle of defining my own external materials (magnetostrive, not polymeric), and I was curious how you developed the Interface Type: Lagrangian Interface to PolyUMod. I can't seem to find any documents to specify how to create your own interface, any advice you can provide would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.