Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initially Stressed Bimorph Beam - Electrostatic Actuation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am attempting to model a bimorph which naturally deflects upwards due to stress in the lower layer of the beam. So far, this part has been successful. The top of the bimorph is silicon, and the bottom, stressed layer, is silicon dioxide. The idea is to apply a voltage to the top silicon, and ground an electrode underneath the deflected beam. The voltage differential creates an electrostatic force which pulls the beam down towards the electrode.
So far I've seen decent results building this in 4.1 without the MEMS module. I've used structural mechanics, ALE mesh, and electrostatics as so many other threads and discussions have suggested. The problem with my model is two fold:

1) in the deflection state, the Silicon and Oxide are supposed to be permanently attached to each other, but the plots in my results section clearly show that the Silicon layer is deflecting independently from the oxide layer. How can I express a condition that ensures the boundary that the two materials share moves in unison?

2) the bottom electrode is a slab of silicon. I've added it to the structural mechanics node, so it has solid material properties. As I ramp the voltage up, the beam does begin to deflect down towards the electrode, which is exactly what I want. However, at a certain point, it should hit the solid silicon electrode and lie flat. However, the beam continues to deflect downwards through the solid silicon electrode. This is even more strange to me, since I set the ground plane to be the top surface of the Silicon. How can a) the beam deflect through the solid, and b) the electrostatic attraction work if the beam has deflected past the ground level?

I've attached the model for anyone who is interested in helping!

Thank you!

Jason

0 Replies Last Post 1 mars 2013, 12:44 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jason Felder

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.