Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Potential Distribution in AC/DC Module, Comsol 4.3

Suganthan Shanmugalingam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

i am working with the AC/DC Module in Comsol 4.3. I have a formula for the potential distribution (V) and I want to calculate the electric field by using the relation: E = - grad(V).

Are there any possibilities to implement this in a 2D, axisymmetric simulation?

Thanks for help
Suganthan

2 Replies Last Post 28 févr. 2013, 10:50 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 févr. 2013, 05:27 UTC−5
Hi,

there may be ways to do that in COMSOL, but if you have a formula like V = V(r, z), then you can just calculate the gradient analytically and plot it in any visualization software. Even Excel could do that, couldn't it?

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, there may be ways to do that in COMSOL, but if you have a formula like V = V(r, z), then you can just calculate the gradient analytically and plot it in any visualization software. Even Excel could do that, couldn't it? Cheers Edgar

Suganthan Shanmugalingam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 févr. 2013, 10:50 UTC−5
Ok, thanks Edgar.

Actually my aim is to investigate the particle trajectories by using the Charged Particle Tracing Module for a given potential distribution so that is why I asked. But I have found an opportunity to declare the potential (or electric field) to the particles.

Ok, thanks Edgar. Actually my aim is to investigate the particle trajectories by using the Charged Particle Tracing Module for a given potential distribution so that is why I asked. But I have found an opportunity to declare the potential (or electric field) to the particles.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.