Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating gradient of a magnetic field, induced by 1 turn copper wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I come from Germany and I study Biomedical Engineering.
I am very new to COMSOL and using right now a 14 day trial version on my home pc.
I was looking last days through several models of comsol, to trying to get the idea how to simulate different problems.

Now I am trying to simulate my own problem and need a bit help.
First I want to describe my problem, and second aks some questions, and hope somebody could help me out.
So, the description.
I have two identical wire loops placed above each other. The symmetry axis is in between them. The direction of the current on both wire loops is similar, so the resulting gradient of the magnetic field from one wire is amplified by the another wire. Thats the idea. The surrounding material in the region is air, and the material of the wires is copper.
This is only analytical setup, and this not going to be build in a real experiment.

So, now to the questions:
1.Which geometry do I choose? 2D or 3D.
2.How can I define where the axis lies?
3.Do I choose the magnetic fields model setup?

Thank you very much, and greetings from Germany.

8 Replies Last Post 14 févr. 2013, 06:24 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 08:51 UTC−5
Hi

it looks like first your model is 2D-axi symmetric, and then you can plit it symetrically around some w=0 typically, so start simple with 2D-axi physics, and draw one coil "section" as a simple circular spot, with a current along phi

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it looks like first your model is 2D-axi symmetric, and then you can plit it symetrically around some w=0 typically, so start simple with 2D-axi physics, and draw one coil "section" as a simple circular spot, with a current along phi -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 08:59 UTC−5
Ok, thanks. To apply the currents, I chooes the "electric currents" physics?
Ok, thanks. To apply the currents, I chooes the "electric currents" physics?

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 09:02 UTC−5
Mikhail,

a couple of comments to your model from a more physical point of view. Your drawing looks like a Helmholtz coil. So the two coils will not increase field gradients, they will decrease them. Helmholtz coils are known to produce particularly uniform fields. You will see that in the simulation when you compare a single coil to the two coil arrangement.
I don't see the purpose of the symmetry axis. Nothing in your setup is symmetrical regarding this axis. In an axisymmetric 2D model, as proposed by Ivar, the symmetry axis must extend through the centers of the coils.

If you need strong gradients you would rather define the currents in the two coils in opposite direction.

Cheers
Edgar
Mikhail, a couple of comments to your model from a more physical point of view. Your drawing looks like a Helmholtz coil. So the two coils will not increase field gradients, they will decrease them. Helmholtz coils are known to produce particularly uniform fields. You will see that in the simulation when you compare a single coil to the two coil arrangement. I don't see the purpose of the symmetry axis. Nothing in your setup is symmetrical regarding this axis. In an axisymmetric 2D model, as proposed by Ivar, the symmetry axis must extend through the centers of the coils. If you need strong gradients you would rather define the currents in the two coils in opposite direction. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 09:14 UTC−5
The "symmetry axis" I called its the axis, to define simply the position of the coils, so it would be clear, that the wires are positoned exactly above each other with a variable distance. I know that there is no such physical symmetry in this model.
The idea of the current direction came from a problem I tried to simulate some time ago with another tool (didn't have access to COMSOL at this moment). In the problem I have two permanent magnets, exactly above eacht other and with different assignments of poles. It was a 2D problem, they were positioned along y-axis. The first magnets hat the poles North in +y direction and South in -y direction. The second magnet had the South pole in +y, and the North pole in -y direction. The resulting field eliminated each other in between.

But anyway, the purpose of this try in COMSOL is to build one simply model, and then playing with parameters such as current direction to get different results. Later on I will try to add to the model more wires along the x-axis. So in the end there will be like four 1 turn wires in +xdirection, on same y-coordinate, and below them exactly the same number of wires on a different y-position, but on the same x-position as the above wires. And the interesting result is the field in between the wires.
The "symmetry axis" I called its the axis, to define simply the position of the coils, so it would be clear, that the wires are positoned exactly above each other with a variable distance. I know that there is no such physical symmetry in this model. The idea of the current direction came from a problem I tried to simulate some time ago with another tool (didn't have access to COMSOL at this moment). In the problem I have two permanent magnets, exactly above eacht other and with different assignments of poles. It was a 2D problem, they were positioned along y-axis. The first magnets hat the poles North in +y direction and South in -y direction. The second magnet had the South pole in +y, and the North pole in -y direction. The resulting field eliminated each other in between. But anyway, the purpose of this try in COMSOL is to build one simply model, and then playing with parameters such as current direction to get different results. Later on I will try to add to the model more wires along the x-axis. So in the end there will be like four 1 turn wires in +xdirection, on same y-coordinate, and below them exactly the same number of wires on a different y-position, but on the same x-position as the above wires. And the interesting result is the field in between the wires.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 09:25 UTC−5
Just be sure you get the quantities 'field' and 'field gradient' right. The gradient can be large even where the field itself is zero and vice versa.
Just be sure you get the quantities 'field' and 'field gradient' right. The gradient can be large even where the field itself is zero and vice versa.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 09:31 UTC−5
Yes, I meant of course both parameters, field and field gradient.

Next question occured.
First I draw my cirlet, then I draw a huge Box around it, to describe the box as "region" and apply "air" as the material to the box. Then I apply "copper" to the wire. But what is with the space in the circlet? I should also apply "air" or "air1" to it, to make sure that the space in the circlet also belongs to the region, right?
Yes, I meant of course both parameters, field and field gradient. Next question occured. First I draw my cirlet, then I draw a huge Box around it, to describe the box as "region" and apply "air" as the material to the box. Then I apply "copper" to the wire. But what is with the space in the circlet? I should also apply "air" or "air1" to it, to make sure that the space in the circlet also belongs to the region, right?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2013, 09:58 UTC−5
Hi

as you said in 2D-axi cut view, you need some "air" domain to allow the field to "loop around", then a circe domain for the Cu, but if you do not want to look at what is going on inside the Cu you can limit yourself to the boundary. Check the model library you have several examples of coils, even Helm Holtz coils too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as you said in 2D-axi cut view, you need some "air" domain to allow the field to "loop around", then a circe domain for the Cu, but if you do not want to look at what is going on inside the Cu you can limit yourself to the boundary. Check the model library you have several examples of coils, even Helm Holtz coils too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2013, 06:24 UTC−5
Hello again, thank to you all, I've managed to do exactly what I wanted.
I've attached a screenshot from the 3D view of the coils.

Now I am going to add more parallel coils along the z-axis. This is going to be a bit tougher, since I can't use the symmetry. So I guess I should drawing the coils in 3D.
Hello again, thank to you all, I've managed to do exactly what I wanted. I've attached a screenshot from the 3D view of the coils. Now I am going to add more parallel coils along the z-axis. This is going to be a bit tougher, since I can't use the symmetry. So I guess I should drawing the coils in 3D.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.