Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Violating basic transformer equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all ,
I am doing simulation of two coil system with some gap between the coil , the problem is I defined the No.of turns in Multi turn coil domain and excited with voltage of 220 V , When i am observing current in the secondary coil by short circuiting secondary , its violating the basic equation, that when no.of turns decrease current should be more
N1/N2 = I2/I1 but i am getting the less current in secondary , although my no.of turns in secondary is lo
Can you help me what is the problem
--
kishore Naik Mude

6 Replies Last Post 11 févr. 2013, 07:20 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2013, 05:17 UTC−5
Hi,

in a transformer that respects this equation primary and secondary coil share the same core, so all the flux created by the primary coil permeates the secondary coil and vice versa. This is certainly not the case in your setup.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi, in a transformer that respects this equation primary and secondary coil share the same core, so all the flux created by the primary coil permeates the secondary coil and vice versa. This is certainly not the case in your setup. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2013, 05:24 UTC−5
Thanks
Can you suggest me how to get My parameters
Primary :
Voltage : 220 V
Current : 2.5 A
Secondary :
Voltage : 35 V
Current : 14.2 A
as i am simulating for the 500 W output power , and considering 90% efficiency between the coils , my input power should be 550 W ,
so can you please suggest the how to proceed

--
kishore Naik Mude
Thanks Can you suggest me how to get My parameters Primary : Voltage : 220 V Current : 2.5 A Secondary : Voltage : 35 V Current : 14.2 A as i am simulating for the 500 W output power , and considering 90% efficiency between the coils , my input power should be 550 W , so can you please suggest the how to proceed -- kishore Naik Mude

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2013, 07:31 UTC−5

I would suggest to research how transformers are constructed, choose the appropriate core (ring core, E-core, etc.) and make the model respectively.
It looks like your problem is more an engineering problem than a COMSOL problem. Before you can make a meaningful model you have to understand the underlying physics and technology.
There may also be example tutorials and models in the Knowledge Base. Try a search.

Cheers
Edgar
I would suggest to research how transformers are constructed, choose the appropriate core (ring core, E-core, etc.) and make the model respectively. It looks like your problem is more an engineering problem than a COMSOL problem. Before you can make a meaningful model you have to understand the underlying physics and technology. There may also be example tutorials and models in the Knowledge Base. Try a search. Cheers Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2013, 09:58 UTC−5
Hi

Check the webinars, there was one 2 days ago about transformers, by IEEE it should be up on the Webinar list of COMSOl's main site, its stored somewhere ;)

But you need tounderstand the physics before you set up your model, else you will get the input/outputs all wrong

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the webinars, there was one 2 days ago about transformers, by IEEE it should be up on the Webinar list of COMSOl's main site, its stored somewhere ;) But you need tounderstand the physics before you set up your model, else you will get the input/outputs all wrong -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 févr. 2013, 03:28 UTC−5
Hi,
Thanks for suggestion , i have some doubt about meshing , should i define the mesh size for each material ?

--
kishore Naik Mude
Hi, Thanks for suggestion , i have some doubt about meshing , should i define the mesh size for each material ? -- kishore Naik Mude

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 févr. 2013, 07:20 UTC−5
Hi

I usually try to use the default mesh first, then solve, then analyse and refine if/where required

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I usually try to use the default mesh first, then solve, then analyse and refine if/where required -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.