Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particles traveling through boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am attempting to use the particle tracing function on a laminar flow in a small channel with obstructions in the channel. I modeled the design after the lunchtime seminar on the particle tracing on comsol's youtube channel. The velocity profile comes out fantastic and feasible, which means the boundary exists for the obstructions for fluid. When I begin a second physics and try to find particle paths through these obstructions they simply travel directly through the boundaries straight for the exit. I've attached the .mph file for any so kind as to help me with this problem. I should probably mention that I am new to this version of comsol so it might be something obvious. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies Last Post 12 févr. 2013, 16:45 UTC−5
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 févr. 2013, 06:05 UTC−5
Dear Dan,

please try to change the solver settings so that you store the output at "steps taken by solver". This will show the result that you intend.

Also modify the maximum time step to something in the order 0.01.

I also changed the particle size to a factor 1000 higher and got the attached result.

It seems that your particles flow through your model in under 1 second, so it is not needed to model 10 seconds.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Dan, please try to change the solver settings so that you store the output at "steps taken by solver". This will show the result that you intend. Also modify the maximum time step to something in the order 0.01. I also changed the particle size to a factor 1000 higher and got the attached result. It seems that your particles flow through your model in under 1 second, so it is not needed to model 10 seconds. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 févr. 2013, 16:45 UTC−5
Thank you very much Frank! This worked out perfectly
Thank you very much Frank! This worked out perfectly

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.