Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unexpected results with "Ground" BC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I do most of my modelling using electrostatics steady-state solutions.

One thing that comes up in my models alot is a grounded metal object in a linear, vertical electric field as shown in the attached figure (sorry for MS paint, I am not at a comsol workstation right now).

I have two large horizontal steel plates, 1m apart in an air domain. In the diagram, you can see how the ambient field is set up (by setting the top plate to 100V and the bottom to ground).

In real life, assuming the object and the bottom plate are all connected and made from the same metal, it would take only one connecting wire to ground the whole assembly (i.e. set it all to 0V).

When I apply the BCs (100V to top plate, ground to bottom plate) my metal object does not come out at 0V, but appears 'transparent' to the field like a floating electrode would (it matches the potential of the air around it).

I can of course manually set every boundary of the object to 0V, but it is counter-intuitive to me that I should need to do this. In practice, you would ground a metal assembly just by connecting a wire to a single part of it.

I intend to go on to study electrostatic induction (bringing charged objects up to the metal assembly) and study changes in charge distribution (and thus electric field) in the assembly.

I hope the question is coherent. Thanks in advance for any help.
Kind regards,
Dominic.

3 Replies Last Post 22 janv. 2013, 06:33 UTC−5
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 janv. 2013, 11:08 UTC−5
Dominic,

The Electrostatics interface treats all domains as dielectrics, so you need to specify a boundary condition for the electric potential on the surface of any conductors.

If you want to explicitly model the variation in potential across a conductor, use the Electric Currents interface.

Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Dominic, The Electrostatics interface treats all domains as dielectrics, so you need to specify a boundary condition for the electric potential on the surface of any conductors. If you want to explicitly model the variation in potential across a conductor, use the Electric Currents interface. Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 janv. 2013, 14:24 UTC−5
Hi

ES = electro-static is really "static" = now current flow !
as suggested try rather EC but then all domains need to be "sightly" conducting

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi ES = electro-static is really "static" = now current flow ! as suggested try rather EC but then all domains need to be "sightly" conducting -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 janv. 2013, 06:33 UTC−5
Thankyou both, I'm going to have a crack at the problem again with the EC interface.

It's not immediately obvious to me how to set the problem up so you may hear from me again.

Regards,
Dom.
Thankyou both, I'm going to have a crack at the problem again with the EC interface. It's not immediately obvious to me how to set the problem up so you may hear from me again. Regards, Dom.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.