Heat transfer problem issue with a wall of any material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to make a model to study heat transfer through it in transient manner. The wall is a block of some size and the material choosen is anything. The wall thickness is unity and one side of the wall is isothermal at -6 degC and the other side is isoflux with h=4W/m2.K and T_ext=20 degC. When the model is run, the variation of temperature through the wall shows temperature at some location range inside the wall material rising beyond 20 degC for some initial time range only. How can it be possible for the temperature to go beyond 20 degC in any case when there is no heat source or anything else?

1 Reply Last Post 2 juil. 2024, 09:35 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 day ago 2 juil. 2024, 09:35 UTC−4
Updated: 1 day ago 2 juil. 2024, 10:05 UTC−4

Quick, blind guess (i.e. without the benefit of seeing your mph file): I'd check whether I've set up initial conditions that are consistent with the boundary conditions.

If the point of your simulation is to see how the temperature in the wall changes when the temperature drops from 20 degC to -6 degC (or something like that), then you will need to implement that as a time-dependent BC; this is easily done via an expression, which may include any of the various functions available.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Quick, blind guess (i.e. without the benefit of seeing your mph file): I'd check whether I've set up initial conditions that are consistent with the boundary conditions. If the point of your simulation is to see how the temperature in the wall changes when the temperature drops from 20 degC to -6 degC (or something like that), then you will need to implement that as a time-dependent BC; this is easily done via an expression, which may include any of the various functions available. Best, Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.