Very simple - permanent magnet and MuMetal shielding modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone!

First time using COMSOL, so any help appericiated.

Attached is a 3D model of two N52 Cube magnets next to each other with a MuMetal magentic shield. I used the Magnet field, no current, and defined a Magnet feature in the physics with the faces as north and south pole. My question is please:

I changed the MuMetal material domain to acrylic plastic and the results are exactly the same, why is that? Shouldn't MuMetal be better at stopping magentic fields compared to plastic? Am I doing something wrong? I changed it to many things and its always the same as MuMetal...

Really appericiate everyones support!

Best, Femos

6 Replies Last Post 2 juin 2024, 14:14 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 12:02 UTC−4

The mu-metal material has no permeability assigned, so probably 1 is used.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The mu-metal material has no permeability assigned, so probably 1 is used.

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 12:24 UTC−4

Thank Edgar,

Okay, so Im a little confused apologies,

The physics I use does it not require a permeability value? I tried assinging the shielding geomteries as Air and I get the exact same results as just MuMetal or any other material. I dont get how COMSOL is using air as a geometrical shield?

So I tried adding material property for MuMetal and changed permeability to 1000, but it is still showing me the same results.

Im really new to COMSOL and very much confused as to what to do.

Thank you so much for replying, feels like some light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank Edgar, Okay, so Im a little confused apologies, The physics I use does it not require a permeability value? I tried assinging the shielding geomteries as Air and I get the exact same results as just MuMetal or any other material. I dont get how COMSOL is using air as a geometrical shield? So I tried adding material property for MuMetal and changed permeability to 1000, but it is still showing me the same results. Im really new to COMSOL and very much confused as to what to do. Thank you so much for replying, feels like some light at the end of the tunnel!

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 12:38 UTC−4

Just saw that the mu-metal thing is in a 'free space' node. It needs to be in an Ampere's law node. And of course the mf physics requires relative permeability. Check magnet examples in the application library.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Just saw that the mu-metal thing is in a 'free space' node. It needs to be in an Ampere's law node. And of course the mf physics requires relative permeability. Check magnet examples in the application library.

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 12:52 UTC−4

YEs!

It worked when I added the amperes law, there is definitely a change in the result!

Im sorry for my following question because I know its basic,

but with regards to amperes law node addition, I looked at the governing equation, and it has a current input. My physics is weak, but is it because the permanent magnet is inducing a current in the MuMetal material?

Because I don't have any current in this system as of now, but electric fields are related to magnetic fields, so is the permanent magnet inducing a current flow in the MuMetal?

Also, for the amperes law node it says "amperes law in solids", is that correct? I remember sometimes it just says amperes law, is there a reason for this distinction?

Finally, if I now was to add a coil to this system and used different physics to simulate current flowing in a coil, can I still model the permanent magnets with the simple MFNC or will I have to add it to the other physics for coils and electromagnets?

Also, I checked the permanent magnets example and did find much about using amperes law, could you link me to the one perhaps? if not too much trouble, you have done so much for me already!

You have been so helpful, thank you so much Edgar! Legend!

Best

YEs! It worked when I added the amperes law, there is definitely a change in the result! Im sorry for my following question because I know its basic, but with regards to amperes law node addition, I looked at the governing equation, and it has a current input. My physics is weak, but is it because the permanent magnet is inducing a current in the MuMetal material? Because I don't have any current in this system as of now, but electric fields are related to magnetic fields, so is the permanent magnet inducing a current flow in the MuMetal? Also, for the amperes law node it says "amperes law in solids", is that correct? I remember sometimes it just says amperes law, is there a reason for this distinction? Finally, if I now was to add a coil to this system and used different physics to simulate current flowing in a coil, can I still model the permanent magnets with the simple MFNC or will I have to add it to the other physics for coils and electromagnets? Also, I checked the permanent magnets example and did find much about using amperes law, could you link me to the one perhaps? if not too much trouble, you have done so much for me already! You have been so helpful, thank you so much Edgar! Legend! Best

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 13:50 UTC−4

Your model is already using mf physics, not mfnc. mf accounts for induced currents, that is why the current equation is there. And you can add coils in mf. Regarding physics node properties, please check the documentation. Check examples and the documentation about coils. They can be tricky.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Your model is already using mf physics, not mfnc. mf accounts for induced currents, that is why the current equation is there. And you can add coils in mf. Regarding physics node properties, please check the documentation. Check examples and the documentation about coils. They can be tricky. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 month ago 2 juin 2024, 14:14 UTC−4

Awesome!

Thank you so much,

Yes my mistake, Im using mf, I was using mfnc first but switched. This makes sense.

Im going through the example of coils, and hopefully I can manage to do something simple.

I really appreciate your support so much Edgar! Have a lovely Sunday.

Best wishes, F

Awesome! Thank you so much, Yes my mistake, Im using mf, I was using mfnc first but switched. This makes sense. Im going through the example of coils, and hopefully I can manage to do something simple. I really appreciate your support so much Edgar! Have a lovely Sunday. Best wishes, F

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.