Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cantilever Beam Rotation Measurement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I recently have developed a model of a cantilevered magnetorheological elastomer (MRE) that bends when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the magnetization of the MRE. I was wondering if there was a way to measure the deflection angle at the free-end of the cantilever beam using comsol? I know I can export and use autocad and measure the angle from the scaled drawing but I have multiple data sets.

Thanks,
Rob

2 Replies Last Post 10 mai 2013, 19:48 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 déc. 2012, 14:21 UTC−5
Hi

For small displacement (at least) you have the material frame "curl" of displacement variables, normally the angles are about 0.5*solid.curlUX, Y, Z

i.e. solid.curlUZ = vX - uY ...

You find these formulas in the Timoshenko too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For small displacement (at least) you have the material frame "curl" of displacement variables, normally the angles are about 0.5*solid.curlUX, Y, Z i.e. solid.curlUZ = vX - uY ... You find these formulas in the Timoshenko too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mai 2013, 19:48 UTC−4
Ivar,

Could you please make more clarifications. In my case, I have a "L" shape geometry, made of composites, and the angle is 90 degree between horizontal and vertical parts. There is a thermal treatment on it. So, as it cools down, I want to know the final angle between two parts.

I appreciate if you could provide more explanations about what you mentioned above.

Regards,

Shawn
Ivar, Could you please make more clarifications. In my case, I have a "L" shape geometry, made of composites, and the angle is 90 degree between horizontal and vertical parts. There is a thermal treatment on it. So, as it cools down, I want to know the final angle between two parts. I appreciate if you could provide more explanations about what you mentioned above. Regards, Shawn

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.