Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impact of Zero Electrical Conductivity for Air on COMSOL Simulation Convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The electrical conductivity of air in COMSOL is set to zero. Could this lead to non-convergence in the simulation results? I notice that others generally avoid setting a value of zero and instead use a very small value.

4 Replies Last Post 8 févr. 2024, 09:48 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 months ago 7 févr. 2024, 13:11 UTC−5
Updated: 6 months ago 7 févr. 2024, 13:09 UTC−5

In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire

Posted: 6 months ago 7 févr. 2024, 23:54 UTC−5

Oh, thank you so much. I'm using Thermoelectric Effect modus. I think I made a mistake, just the non-triangular element is 0. Thank you for your explanition.

>In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: >https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire Oh, thank you so much. I'm using Thermoelectric Effect modus. I think I made a mistake, just the non-triangular element is 0. Thank you for your explanition.

Posted: 6 months ago 8 févr. 2024, 09:10 UTC−5

I'm not familiar with the Thermoelectric Effect module but I do know that the Magnetic Fields (mf) module (magnetic potential formulation) is just fine with resistivity of air being zero. At the same time, the Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) module (H-formulation) is not. It depends on how the Maxwell equations are solved and whether they use conductivity or resistivity variables. If your simulation is running with conductivity of 0 and producing results then it's all good. If it isn't you will never converge at all.

I'm not familiar with the Thermoelectric Effect module but I do know that the Magnetic Fields (mf) module (magnetic potential formulation) is just fine with resistivity of air being zero. At the same time, the Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) module (H-formulation) is not. It depends on how the Maxwell equations are solved and whether they use conductivity or resistivity variables. If your simulation is running with conductivity of 0 and producing results then it's all good. If it isn't you will never converge at all.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 months ago 8 févr. 2024, 09:48 UTC−5
Updated: 6 months ago 8 févr. 2024, 09:51 UTC−5

It would be interesting to get a more in-depth description of your model, or better yet, your mph file and a description of what you are trying to achieve with the model.

I am saying this because there is also a chance that you should not even be including the region occupied by air in your EM physics.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
It would be interesting to get a more in-depth description of your model, or better yet, your mph file and a description of what you are trying to achieve with the model. I am saying this because there is also a chance that you should not even be including the region occupied by air in your EM physics. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.