Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling between PDE and Electrostatics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

Does any one have any experience of solving a steady general form of PDE with steady electrostaics module. I am trying to solve a PDE [ Div(DuE) = 0] where D is the mobility coefficient and E is the electric field vector that is obtained from the solution of [Lap(V) = 0] in order to solve for the space charge distribution (u) within the domain, however I am not getting any meaningful results at all and in some cases not even a solution. I am using the default UMFPACK solver.

Regards

5 Replies Last Post 26 déc. 2016, 16:00 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2012, 05:08 UTC−5
I'm doing some simulation with coupling between RF and PDE modules, but it's clueless from your description.
I'm doing some simulation with coupling between RF and PDE modules, but it's clueless from your description.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2012, 09:59 UTC−5
Hi Zang,

Actually I want to solve the PDE simultaneously with the electrostatic module i.e I need to solve the following two equations :

Laplacian(V)=u/eps eq(1)

Divergence(DuE)=0 eq(2)

where E = -Gradient(V)

D is a contant, eps is a constant and E is actually a vector having two components i.e Ex and Ey V is the voltage field and u is the space charge density. However when I try to solve these equations simultaneously by using UMFPACK solver the simulations do not proceed and immediately reports an error of non symmetric matrix found. I simply cant understand what is wrong and how to solve this problem?

Hi Zang, Actually I want to solve the PDE simultaneously with the electrostatic module i.e I need to solve the following two equations : Laplacian(V)=u/eps eq(1) Divergence(DuE)=0 eq(2) where E = -Gradient(V) D is a contant, eps is a constant and E is actually a vector having two components i.e Ex and Ey V is the voltage field and u is the space charge density. However when I try to solve these equations simultaneously by using UMFPACK solver the simulations do not proceed and immediately reports an error of non symmetric matrix found. I simply cant understand what is wrong and how to solve this problem?

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2012, 10:02 UTC−5
It seems the equation system is not complex. But I'm also not familiar with the error message. Perhaps you can upload the model file? I would like to have a look.
It seems the equation system is not complex. But I'm also not familiar with the error message. Perhaps you can upload the model file? I would like to have a look.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 avr. 2013, 09:44 UTC−4
Hello everyone,

I have a convergence problem with modelling of Electrostatics equation coupled with PDE( for charge transport equation). I attached the equations and .mph files.

MODEL : two electrodes placed in domain of air. voltage difference applied. I have to calculate resultant electric field, charge density values and use them to add a body force to laminar flow to simulate plasma.

1. Geometry is simple. Mesh is fine.
2. I tried fully coupled( various damping factors), segregated, parametric sweep of the source term in charge transport equation( which makes it nonlinear) but couldn't get it to converge.
3. I tried using PDEs alone instead of electrostatics,but again same problem ( Plasma Actuator Mod.mph)

Could anyone please help me with way to obtain convergence or any other way to solve the equations attached.
Hello everyone, I have a convergence problem with modelling of Electrostatics equation coupled with PDE( for charge transport equation). I attached the equations and .mph files. MODEL : two electrodes placed in domain of air. voltage difference applied. I have to calculate resultant electric field, charge density values and use them to add a body force to laminar flow to simulate plasma. 1. Geometry is simple. Mesh is fine. 2. I tried fully coupled( various damping factors), segregated, parametric sweep of the source term in charge transport equation( which makes it nonlinear) but couldn't get it to converge. 3. I tried using PDEs alone instead of electrostatics,but again same problem ( Plasma Actuator Mod.mph) Could anyone please help me with way to obtain convergence or any other way to solve the equations attached.

Posted: 8 years ago 26 déc. 2016, 16:00 UTC−5
Hi,

You will need to set a voltage as electrical potential in Electronics Initial Values1 (e.g. 1000V).

Regards,

NK
Hi, You will need to set a voltage as electrical potential in Electronics Initial Values1 (e.g. 1000V). Regards, NK

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.