Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sinusoidal Boundary Temperature Condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to specify a time dependent sinusoidal temperature boundary condition. I've defined a function in the screenshot attached. However, when I run a time dependent solver, the temperature of the boundary I've defined comes out looking jagged and not steady as seen in the second screenshot. How do I fix this issue?

5 Replies Last Post 14 mars 2023, 02:59 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 11 mars 2023, 03:18 UTC−5

Sarah,

you probably need to adjust the time stepping. For periodic signals you should set manual time steps that resolve the waveform. The automatic time stepping ignores the periodicity of the waveform. This is about the time steps in the solver, not the time steps you set in the study step.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Sarah, you probably need to adjust the time stepping. For periodic signals you should set manual time steps that resolve the waveform. The automatic time stepping ignores the periodicity of the waveform. This is about the time steps in the solver, not the time steps you set in the study step. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 year ago 13 mars 2023, 17:48 UTC−4

Hi Edgar, How do you set manual time steps? I've tried both of these (attached) in the time solver. Thanks, Sarah

Hi Edgar, How do you set manual time steps? I've tried both of these (attached) in the time solver. Thanks, Sarah

Posted: 1 year ago 13 mars 2023, 18:22 UTC−4

Those are the settings in the study step.

You need to change the time stepping in the solver. That is in Solver Configurations -> Time Dependent Solver -> Time Stepping

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Those are the settings in the study step. You need to change the time stepping in the solver. That is in Solver Configurations -> Time Dependent Solver -> Time Stepping

Posted: 1 year ago 13 mars 2023, 19:25 UTC−4

What exactly would you recommend I change in the time stepping? I've set steps taken by solver to manual but not sure what to put for the other inputs.

What exactly would you recommend I change in the time stepping? I've set steps taken by solver to manual but not sure what to put for the other inputs.

Posted: 1 year ago 14 mars 2023, 02:59 UTC−4

You need to resolve the waveform. I would recommend to start with period/10, so for a 50 Hz waveform with a 20 ms period it would be 2 ms. Depending on your results you may relax that to a longer time step.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You need to resolve the waveform. I would recommend to start with period/10, so for a 50 Hz waveform with a 20 ms period it would be 2 ms. Depending on your results you may relax that to a longer time step.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.