Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define geometry position as function of time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am currently working on a model where a heat source travels across the surface of a plate.
The heat source is a 3D extrusion and I am having issues making it move in the x-direction across the plate surface.
Is there a way to do this? I have tried to put velocity and time in the position section, tried to use both general and linear extrusions and adding time and velocity into the destination map, and attempted to create a function to define position relative to time.
None of these approaches have worked for me so far, but I am not very experienced at using this software so there may be things I have missed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 17 sept. 2012, 09:11 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 sept. 2012, 05:16 UTC−4
Hi

It could be that your issue is the 3D extrusion, as when you move this around you might change the topology. Have you tried to define your heating virtual domain as a surace or volume boundary with bolean limits of the type (1<x)*(x<2)*(2<y)*(y<5)*... for a static case and adapti t with a v*t component per direction for the velocity component ... ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It could be that your issue is the 3D extrusion, as when you move this around you might change the topology. Have you tried to define your heating virtual domain as a surace or volume boundary with bolean limits of the type (1

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2012, 09:11 UTC−4
Thanks for your reply Ivar, I have not yet tried this but I shall give it a go and see how I get on.
Thanks for your reply Ivar, I have not yet tried this but I shall give it a go and see how I get on.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.