Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Constraint definition in Weak form PDE in v4.3

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to convert a Comsol 3.5 model that used the 'Weak form:Subdomain' mode into Weak form PDE in v4.3. I have the following two questions:

1. In v3.5, certain subdomains were defined with 'Constraint Type' as 'Ideal' under the 'constrf' tab. This was to implement stress free boundaries. What would be the equivalent definition in v4.3? The default seems to be 'Zero Flux'. is that equivalent of stress free boundaries?

2. Should I use 'Pointwise constraint' or 'Weak Constraint' to constrain the displacements of certain boundaries along certain axes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 20 août 2013, 03:07 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sonali Dasgupta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 août 2013, 03:07 UTC−4
Hi,

I saw your post today. I would like to know if you got the answers you wanted. If yes, would you mind sharing with me as I also have similar questions.

Did you load your v3.5 model in v4.3 and see the boundary conditions in v4.3a? That might give you some clue. I think if your constrain displacements on certain boundaries are Dirichlet condition, then you can go for pointwise constrain. Let me know if I am wrong.
Hi, I saw your post today. I would like to know if you got the answers you wanted. If yes, would you mind sharing with me as I also have similar questions. Did you load your v3.5 model in v4.3 and see the boundary conditions in v4.3a? That might give you some clue. I think if your constrain displacements on certain boundaries are Dirichlet condition, then you can go for pointwise constrain. Let me know if I am wrong.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.