Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to cause flow around a bluff body to go unsteady

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm simulating turbulent flow in a pipe around a bluff body with time dependent solvers so I can look at the vortex shedding that occurs. I'm solving the RANS equations with the standard k-epsilon turbulence model.

For most bluff body geometries and configurations, I can get the flow to transition to unsteady flow (vortex shedding!), however sometimes the solution converges to a steady state solution (no vortex shedding).

I've been running successful simulations for months now and have been avoiding the ones that won't go unsteady, however I can no longer avoid them. Does anyone have suggestions for simple ways to cause the flow to go unsteady over a bluff body?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 10 août 2012, 12:13 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 août 2012, 12:13 UTC−4
bump
bump

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.