Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with boundary errors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to solve Laplace's equation subject to a non-linear boundary condition. T corresponding solution in the bulk of the domain is what I would expect. However on the boundary I have these strange points of discontituity that I cannot seem to get rid of. Advice on how to remove these would be ideal.

The problem

Let . For a given , I seek which satisfies

on

when

when

when

The issue

I use the standard equation solver and when I compute the solution I get these strange points of discontinuity along the boundary (see the attached picture). I am unsure how to get rid of them. I tried to use the inbuilt mesh adjustment, yet that simply did not converge.

2 Replies Last Post 22 avr. 2022, 06:50 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 21 avr. 2022, 09:20 UTC−4

Since the strength of the nonlinearity in your problem is directly proportional to the parameter W, I think it makes sense to solve for a lower value of W and see if the solution converges. If that is the case, you can use such a solution as initial value for a new solution with higher value of W etc.

This procedure can be automatized by using an auxiliary sweep, see the attached screenshot.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Since the strength of the nonlinearity in your problem is directly proportional to the parameter *W*, I think it makes sense to solve for a lower value of *W* and see if the solution converges. If that is the case, you can use such a solution as initial value for a new solution with higher value of *W* etc. This procedure can be automatized by using an auxiliary sweep, see the attached screenshot.

Posted: 2 years ago 22 avr. 2022, 06:50 UTC−4

Since the strength of the nonlinearity in your problem is directly proportional to the parameter W, I think it makes sense to solve for a lower value of W and see if the solution converges. If that is the case, you can use such a solution as initial value for a new solution with higher value of W etc.

This procedure can be automatized by using an auxiliary sweep, see the attached screenshot.

That seems to have worked really well, thank you.

>Since the strength of the nonlinearity in your problem is directly proportional to the parameter *W*, I think it makes sense to solve for a lower value of *W* and see if the solution converges. If that is the case, you can use such a solution as initial value for a new solution with higher value of *W* etc. > >This procedure can be automatized by using an auxiliary sweep, see the attached screenshot. That seems to have worked really well, thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.