Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where does COMSOL "get initial value"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone

I encountered a strange problem. In version 3.5a there's this "get initial value" function under the Solve drop-down menu. When a model has a nasty diverging solution, all results I have after that are almost the same as the diverging one even though I do change some settings in the model. Then I wonder if this is due to the initial value is the nasty one. I checked "Get Initial Value", and it gives the diverging solution. I want to get some other non-singular initial value, but failed. I tried all the four options in Initial Value tab. They don't make any difference. Does anyone know how one can manage to change the initial value?

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 17 juil. 2012, 17:18 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2012, 16:15 UTC−4
Hi

by default COMSOl gets the initial values from the physics initial value tab (forgotten where its hiding in v3.5), but you can redirect the sover sequence to load from another study, although this was far less trivial in 3.5 than what it is now in v4. Else you need to use Matlab to script it in

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by default COMSOl gets the initial values from the physics initial value tab (forgotten where its hiding in v3.5), but you can redirect the sover sequence to load from another study, although this was far less trivial in 3.5 than what it is now in v4. Else you need to use Matlab to script it in -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2012, 17:18 UTC−4
Thanks for your reply Ivar! I've found the tab.
Thanks for your reply Ivar! I've found the tab.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.