Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD laminar flow + particle tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there everybody! In the last weeks I've been struggling with a simulation, here are the details: 1. I want to simulate an aerosol passing through the nasal cavity; 2. to do so I have created a 2d simplified model of the nasal cavity, which can be found in attachment. The left-side edge is the nostril, the right-side edge is the pharynx; 3. for the domain I have chosen air as material; 4. to model the airflow I have set up a single-phase laminar flow physics, selecting the nostril as inlet and the pharynx as outlet; 5. to simulate the breathing process I have imposed as fluid orthogonal velocity (for the inlet) the function where U_max = 5.895 m/s and T = 5 s; 6. to model the particles in the airflow I have set up a particle-tracing physics, specifying particle's density (2200 kg/m^3) and diameter (1 um); 7. the inlet for the particles was once again the nostril edge, the release times given by range(T, 0.1, 2T); 8. the study I chose was a time-dependent one, with selected times range(0, 0.1, 2T); 9. I have tried and changed every parameter of the simulation to make it run successfully, but every time the solutor didn't converge.

Please help me in any way, I'm terribly frustrated. If I can add anything to make the problem clearer let me know! Thanks in advance and bye!

0 Replies Last Post 14 nov. 2021, 12:33 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andrea Flora

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.