Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation of liquid droplet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL, so I am referencing a work on deformation of liquid droplet impacting a solid surface. I tried to recreate the same model as that work. But I ran into several problems. As I tracked the steps taken by solver, at a certain time, the volume fraction of liquid would suddenly turn into 0.5 all over the domain. My result just doesn't seem right.

Also, I want to track the contact angle between liquid and solid surface, but I don't know how. Should I set up some new geometry?

Here is the link to the work I am referring to: www.comsol.com/papers/8116/

Attachment is my model. Please take a look at it and show me a right direction. I'm using version 4.3

Thank you!

10 Replies Last Post 6 oct. 2014, 08:49 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 juin 2012, 08:48 UTC−4
This is a simple model: 2-D axisymmetric, Laminar Two-Phase Flow, a water droplet falls down onto a solid surface due to gravity. I want to model the deformation process of the droplet after hitting to the ground. But my result is rather than dropping down to the ground and deformting, the droplet would suddenly spread all over the air domain.
This is a simple model: 2-D axisymmetric, Laminar Two-Phase Flow, a water droplet falls down onto a solid surface due to gravity. I want to model the deformation process of the droplet after hitting to the ground. But my result is rather than dropping down to the ground and deformting, the droplet would suddenly spread all over the air domain.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 août 2012, 13:20 UTC−4
I am also trying to do something similar. there are some difficulties I am facing. I can simulate the impact and the water droplet spreads a little then the solution fails.

I can solve the problem when the droplet is falling from a few millimeter above the surface.

I also what to assign an initial velocity of the droplet but I couldn't can anyone help?

The model is based on COMSOL 3.5
I am also trying to do something similar. there are some difficulties I am facing. I can simulate the impact and the water droplet spreads a little then the solution fails. I can solve the problem when the droplet is falling from a few millimeter above the surface. I also what to assign an initial velocity of the droplet but I couldn't can anyone help? The model is based on COMSOL 3.5

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 oct. 2012, 09:56 UTC−4
H
H

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 oct. 2012, 12:23 UTC−4
Hi everybody,

I have the exact same problem. I believe it has to be due to mesh and boundary conditions. I am trying to play with mesh and also implement different BCs.

If you have also found any way to get rid of this problem, I appreciate if you could share it with me.

Regards

Shawn
Hi everybody, I have the exact same problem. I believe it has to be due to mesh and boundary conditions. I am trying to play with mesh and also implement different BCs. If you have also found any way to get rid of this problem, I appreciate if you could share it with me. Regards Shawn

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 oct. 2012, 12:26 UTC−4

Hi everybody,

I have the exact same problem. I believe it has to be due to mesh and boundary conditions. I am trying to play with mesh and also implement different BCs.

If you have also found any way to get rid of this problem, I appreciate if you could share it with me.

Regards

Shawn
Hi everybody, I have the exact same problem. I believe it has to be due to mesh and boundary conditions. I am trying to play with mesh and also implement different BCs. If you have also found any way to get rid of this problem, I appreciate if you could share it with me. Regards Shawn

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 oct. 2012, 12:22 UTC−4
H
H

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 oct. 2012, 14:21 UTC−4
Hi

if you change the material you need to check both fluid nodes to set the right material to fluid1, as well as the interface to gas/liquide water air.

Furthermore, with the buble in contact with a surface, and with weting conditions, you have capilary forces that might be greater than the gravity forces, so I would recommend to leave the drop fully "flaoting" not initially in contact with any surface.

and I would use a p=0 point in one of the corner of the outer geometry, not attached to the initial droplet position

By the way, why not set wetting to all walls (wall1, and disable wall2&3) this works for me

Then your mesh is rather coarse, for a thin viscuouity fluid such as air this might be an issue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you change the material you need to check both fluid nodes to set the right material to fluid1, as well as the interface to gas/liquide water air. Furthermore, with the buble in contact with a surface, and with weting conditions, you have capilary forces that might be greater than the gravity forces, so I would recommend to leave the drop fully "flaoting" not initially in contact with any surface. and I would use a p=0 point in one of the corner of the outer geometry, not attached to the initial droplet position By the way, why not set wetting to all walls (wall1, and disable wall2&3) this works for me Then your mesh is rather coarse, for a thin viscuouity fluid such as air this might be an issue -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 oct. 2012, 04:06 UTC−4
]
]

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 nov. 2012, 22:11 UTC−5
Change the transient initialization to phase initialization, due to the two-phase flow and the use of the level set method.

It is running for me at the moment, just waiting for results.
Change the transient initialization to phase initialization, due to the two-phase flow and the use of the level set method. It is running for me at the moment, just waiting for results.

Posted: 10 years ago 6 oct. 2014, 08:49 UTC−4
Hello,

I'm also trying to set up a similar problem to the following papers:

www.comsol.com/paper/deformation-behavior-of-a-liquid-droplet-impacting-a-solid-surface-8116

www.comsol.com/paper/solidification-of-a-liquid-metal-droplet-impinging-on-a-cold-surface-1492

I'm new to COMSOL and have a trial of 4.4 for another week, I'd like to see if I can get the problem set up before I buy the software. Can anyone give any advice as to how I can set up a droplet impacting a solid surface in COMSOL?

Thanks,
Raquel
Hello, I'm also trying to set up a similar problem to the following papers: http://www.comsol.com/paper/deformation-behavior-of-a-liquid-droplet-impacting-a-solid-surface-8116 http://www.comsol.com/paper/solidification-of-a-liquid-metal-droplet-impinging-on-a-cold-surface-1492 I'm new to COMSOL and have a trial of 4.4 for another week, I'd like to see if I can get the problem set up before I buy the software. Can anyone give any advice as to how I can set up a droplet impacting a solid surface in COMSOL? Thanks, Raquel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.