Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule-Heating Electrothermal Microgripper Overheating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am currently trying to model a Joule-heating, electrothermal microgripper in COMSOL 5.5/5.6, and am basing the model on the existing COMSOL thermal actuator physics model with a novel actuator/gripper geometry. The real-world gripper prototype has already been created and tested in-lab up to a maximum applied voltage of 10 volts, and functions well.

The simulation material is polysilicon and the material properties are not temperature dependent.

As is done in the COMSOL thermal actuator model, convective heatflux is used with defined heat transfer coefficients which are based on the thermal conductivity of air, and the air gap between the actuator and the substrate. The surrounding air is set at a constant room temperature.

The voltage and ground boundary conditions are applied to the bottom of fixed anchors which hold the gripper in place. These anchors are also set at constant room temperature, which mimicks the substrate as an infinite heatsink.

The issue is that there is severe temperature buildup on the hot arms, often times exceeding the melting temperature of polysilicon. I am out of ideas as to why the temperature is really high in these regions as they should be hundreds of degrees lower, as is confirmed by the real-world prototype.

I am looking for any and all support or guidance on this issue as I have tried everything that I could to fix it, to no avail.

Thanks, Alex

0 Replies Last Post 7 juin 2021, 15:18 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Krstic

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.