Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing finer at specific boundaries (interface between two materials)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear ALL,

I would need your help with regard to meshing. I am styding a bi-layer material (film on top of a substarte) and I am trying to resolve the mesh to get finer mesh at the boundaries (where i have corners). i can chose a small element size for the whole structure which results in consuming camputation, so i only want fine element at the interface between the film and substare and essentially at the corners (picture attached). 1- What is the best way to get a mesh similar to that in the picture. 2- or how to get a mesh which is finer at boundaries but get coarser far from boundaries (graded elemnt size)?

Best regards

3 Replies Last Post 22 févr. 2021, 10:44 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 22 févr. 2021, 10:35 UTC−5
Updated: 3 years ago 22 févr. 2021, 10:41 UTC−5

Hello Sarab,

A mesh that is finer near a particular set of boundaries is indeed something you can create easily in COMSOL. I would recommend this video on meshing in the Learning Center, as well as Chapter 8 in the Reference Manual (Accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu within the COMSOL Multiphysics GUI) for information on meshing capabilities and example tutorials.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Sarab, A mesh that is finer near a particular set of boundaries is indeed something you can create easily in COMSOL. I would recommend [this video on meshing in the Learning Center](https://www.comsol.com/learning-center/building-the-mesh-for-a-model-geometry-in-comsol-multiphysics), as well as Chapter 8 in the Reference Manual (Accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu within the COMSOL Multiphysics GUI) for information on meshing capabilities and example tutorials. Best, Jeff

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 22 févr. 2021, 10:36 UTC−5
Updated: 3 years ago 22 févr. 2021, 10:38 UTC−5

You should use a user-controlled mesh. You can choose values for maximum mesh sizes individually in domains, on surfaces, along lines, and around points. For example, the attached screen shot shows a circle where one arc has been meshed much more finely than the rest of it.

Added: Looks like Jeff Hiller got to this first. :)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You should use a user-controlled mesh. You can choose values for maximum mesh sizes individually in domains, on surfaces, along lines, and around points. For example, the attached screen shot shows a circle where one arc has been meshed much more finely than the rest of it. Added: Looks like Jeff Hiller got to this first. :)

Posted: 3 years ago 22 févr. 2021, 10:44 UTC−5

Dear Jeff and Robert,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I indeed got to solve the problem through user controlled mesh (with edges refinement and distribution nodes).

Best

Dear Jeff and Robert, Thank you for the prompt reply. I indeed got to solve the problem through user controlled mesh (with edges refinement and distribution nodes). Best

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.