Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Automatic remeshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to implement automatic remeshing in various time dependent solid mechanics models where the mesh becomes very distorted. I’ve attached a simple example of this (this example doesn’t actually require automatic remeshing to solve). I’m having a couple of problems. Frequently, when automatic remeshing is used, not all time steps converge, even though they do when automatic remeshing is not used. Using a different criteria for remeshing (e.g. setting it to stop when minqual is less than 0.1 vs 0.05, or using the distortion condition rather than mesh quality) can lead to a different problem, with the condition for remeshing still fulfilled after remeshing. I’d appreciate any insight into either of these problems.

Also, how is minqual defined? There’s several different mesh quality metrics so I’m not sure which one is taken into account for the minqual variable.

0 Replies Last Post 12 oct. 2020, 19:18 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Claire Cook

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.