Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to remove a subdomain?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

can anybody tell me how to remove (delete) a geometry (subdomain) out of my model?

Tank you!

2 Replies Last Post 21 sept. 2016, 23:11 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2012, 00:52 UTC−5
Hi

There are a few different meaning about "delete" in COMSOL

you cannot formally "delete" a sub-domain (3.5) = a domain (v4 naming), in all cases, as such.
You can delete a "geometric object" so if you have an identity between a geometric object = domain entity, you you can delete it (the object hence also the entity), but often a geometric object becomes several domains entities (model dependent) and then you cannot delete just one of the entities as is.

But what you can do in any case, is to suppress it from the entity list, and in two ways:

1) Add "Geometry delete entity" sub node and select the domain entity, COMSOL will ignore it from its entity list, and it will not be meshed (but its still part of the geometry, so you can come back too it if needed
2) you can exclude it from the main physics list (a physics does not need to be applicable to all domains) but this means it will be meshed, so if the domain is not used anywhere, you could as well suppress it from the list

Note: I'm not sure any longer if "Geometry delete entity" existed already in 3.5 ;) then you have solution 2, or modify you geometry accordingly to split your object

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi There are a few different meaning about "delete" in COMSOL you cannot formally "delete" a sub-domain (3.5) = a domain (v4 naming), in all cases, as such. You can delete a "geometric object" so if you have an identity between a geometric object = domain entity, you you can delete it (the object hence also the entity), but often a geometric object becomes several domains entities (model dependent) and then you cannot delete just one of the entities as is. But what you can do in any case, is to suppress it from the entity list, and in two ways: 1) Add "Geometry delete entity" sub node and select the domain entity, COMSOL will ignore it from its entity list, and it will not be meshed (but its still part of the geometry, so you can come back too it if needed 2) you can exclude it from the main physics list (a physics does not need to be applicable to all domains) but this means it will be meshed, so if the domain is not used anywhere, you could as well suppress it from the list Note: I'm not sure any longer if "Geometry delete entity" existed already in 3.5 ;) then you have solution 2, or modify you geometry accordingly to split your object -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 21 sept. 2016, 23:11 UTC−4
How to divide a domain into sub domains .My whole geometry is in one ´domain but i want it into different domains so that i can select the domain i wanted.I tried using this thread .
www.comsol.se/community/forums/geometry/thread/19901/
but when meshing i am not over come the error stated below
failed to mesh the domain

can you please suggest for this error
comsol model is attached below

Thanks in advance
Regards
How to divide a domain into sub domains .My whole geometry is in one ´domain but i want it into different domains so that i can select the domain i wanted.I tried using this thread . https://www.comsol.se/community/forums/geometry/thread/19901/ but when meshing i am not over come the error stated below failed to mesh the domain can you please suggest for this error comsol model is attached below Thanks in advance Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.