Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate a wall without using Contact?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to simulate a wall without using the contact-node? I don't want my geometry to deform past a certain boundary. (which is horizontal, if that helps...)

regards and thank you

1 Reply Last Post 28 févr. 2020, 06:58 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 28 févr. 2020, 06:58 UTC−5
Updated: 4 years ago 28 févr. 2020, 07:08 UTC−5

I found a way by defining a prescribed displacement with the diagonal H-vector being set at 0;0 for the upper and 0;1*(y>y_wall) for the lower row. this way, the only constraint is in positive y-direction when y>y_wall is true.

it works for parts of the boundary with limited mechanical stress (left in picture), but seems to have problems when stresses get higher. (right in picture) Is it possible that the deflections due to mechanical stress are greater than what the solver can correct? I tried to reduce the maximum step contraint, but it has not changed anything.

I found a way by defining a prescribed displacement with the diagonal H-vector being set at 0;0 for the upper and 0;1*(y>y_wall) for the lower row. this way, the only constraint is in positive y-direction when y>y_wall is true. it works for parts of the boundary with limited mechanical stress (left in picture), but seems to have problems when stresses get higher. (right in picture) Is it possible that the deflections due to mechanical stress are greater than what the solver can correct? I tried to reduce the maximum step contraint, but it has not changed anything.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.