Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there any way to directly add index of refraction to a material?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to create a blank material with a specific index of refraction. I have looked through the "add properties option" and I cannot find an index of refraction.

I have been able to find the Relative permeability and Relative permittivity under the baisic tab but I would like to add index of refraction directly to a material.

I can see real index of refraction as a property of air and I can edit it's values to have the value of silica aerogel of 1.03.

For reference I am trying to duplicate the work done here http://lhcb-doc.web.cern.ch/lhcb-doc/presentations/conferencetalks/postscript/2007presentations/T.Bellunato.pdf

1 Reply Last Post 25 juil. 2019, 09:11 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 25 juil. 2019, 09:11 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 25 juil. 2019, 09:11 UTC−4

Hello Owen,

• Right-click on the Material 1 (or whatever you may have renamed it) node in the Materials branch of the Model Builder,
  • In the Settings window, in the Materials Properties tab, expand Electromagnetic Models
  • There you'll find Refractive index, real part (n)

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Owen, * Right-click on the Material 1 (or whatever you may have renamed it) node in the Materials branch of the Model Builder, * In the Settings window, in the Materials Properties tab, expand Electromagnetic Models * There you'll find Refractive index, real part (n) Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.