Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Velocity Impact Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am rather new to COMSOL and I need assistance with conducting velocity impact testing simulation within COMSOL, where I am trying to simulate impact testing from a Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar (SHPB). Knowing there will be a dynamic non linearity development within the specimen, how would I account for that and would I use the time dependent study to see how the specimen deforms? I know I can start with designing the CAD part, adding it to COMSOL, and then add a point load to the specimen; however, I would like some help with deciding how to add the time dependency as well as the impact velocity of a projectile to the face of the CAD part.

I would like to use this model to understand the dynamic modulus vs strain and the strain rate of the material, along with obtaining the illustration of the deformity using COMSOL.

Thank you,

Stephen Palmer

2 Replies Last Post 2 juil. 2019, 19:16 UTC−4

Posted: 5 years ago 2 juil. 2019, 04:50 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 2 juil. 2019, 04:50 UTC−4

I am also doing finite element simulation of impact type, mainly simulating a small sphere impacting a thin plate, and then observing the surface strain changes of the thin plate after receiving the impact. I haven't found a solution yet. I hope someone can answer it.

I am also doing finite element simulation of impact type, mainly simulating a small sphere impacting a thin plate, and then observing the surface strain changes of the thin plate after receiving the impact. I haven't found a solution yet. I hope someone can answer it.

Posted: 5 years ago 2 juil. 2019, 19:16 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 2 juil. 2019, 19:10 UTC−4

I agree that is primarily what I am trying to do but with a flat cylinder face impacting a cylinder specimen. I am trying several things but have not had success yet.

>I am also doing finite element simulation of impact type, mainly simulating a small sphere impacting a thin plate, and then observing the surface strain changes of the thin plate after receiving the impact. I haven't found a solution yet. I hope someone can answer it. I agree that is primarily what I am trying to do but with a flat cylinder face impacting a cylinder specimen. I am trying several things but have not had success yet.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.