Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to make a dependent variable does not take negative values?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am modeling microorganiamo growth in a bioreactor, using the Chemical Engineering Module.
The question is, as time passes, the organism grows and feeds on a substrate, the substrate concentration goes down to 0. The thing is, if the simulation continues, the concentration is negative and I do not want that to happen.

In short, how do you do for the variable does not acquire negative values?

Sorry for my bad English. Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post 2 sept. 2013, 15:49 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 oct. 2011, 11:46 UTC−4
Carlos,

in case the dependant variables in a model go to unphysical values (negative concentration in your case) then my assumption would be that the equations or boundary conditions are not suited for the phenomenon you want to model.

Unfortunately I don't have the Chemical Engineering module, so I cannot give more practical advice.

Cheers
Edgar
Carlos, in case the dependant variables in a model go to unphysical values (negative concentration in your case) then my assumption would be that the equations or boundary conditions are not suited for the phenomenon you want to model. Unfortunately I don't have the Chemical Engineering module, so I cannot give more practical advice. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 oct. 2011, 14:17 UTC−4
Thank you Edgar.

I'll wait to see if anyone can help me.
Thank you Edgar. I'll wait to see if anyone can help me.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 sept. 2013, 15:49 UTC−4
Hi,

You can switch to a segregated solver and use "lower limit" option provided. there you can force the lowest value the variable can get and if it goes below that value solver automatically overrides it with the limit you have defined.

I am using this in my problem for continously decreasing unreal concentration values and it is working pretty fine.

Best,

arda
Hi, You can switch to a segregated solver and use "lower limit" option provided. there you can force the lowest value the variable can get and if it goes below that value solver automatically overrides it with the limit you have defined. I am using this in my problem for continously decreasing unreal concentration values and it is working pretty fine. Best, arda

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.