Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining a barycenter velocity in the model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all I am using fluid-structure-interaction(fsi) interface to simulate a microfludic device,which allows cells flowing through the channel.

As the length of the channel is not very important for my simulation(what is important for my simulation is the final steady-state of cell), I want to keep the cell in the center of the fluid domain.

I read some paper which define a barycenter cell velocity, so movement of all quantities (fluid, cell) is considered to relative to the barycenter velocity.

The problem is that this barycenter velocity should be a time-dependent velocity calculated from each step and cannot be pre-defined. Can anybody give me some clues on how to define a barycenter velocity of cell?

1 Reply Last Post 8 févr. 2019, 07:31 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 8 févr. 2019, 07:31 UTC−5

All the reference systems, Hittorff, barycentric, Fickian are essentially the same unless the solute concentrations are very high, of the molality order of > 1. I would not expect too much error in your calculations if you just use the solvent velocity as the reference (= Hittorff reference). All the transport quantities are actually defined (and thus measured) in the Hittorff reference frame.

Lasse

All the reference systems, Hittorff, barycentric, Fickian are essentially the same unless the solute concentrations are very high, of the molality order of > 1. I would not expect too much error in your calculations if you just use the solvent velocity as the reference (= Hittorff reference). All the transport quantities are actually defined (and thus measured) in the Hittorff reference frame. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.