Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incident field confusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm a freshman in RF module, and would like to try a very simple and straightforward case first so I can move to more complicated case later:
modeling how light (i.e., electromagnetic wave) is absorbed inside a metal oxide layer (~0.5 mm).
I'm not sure how can I deal with the boundary conditions and set the light source.
1) I tried draw a close box by using Bezier polygon, and set top line be the source using electric field or scattering boundary condition (set amplitude 1 V/m), but the modeling result show nothing (green-colored box instead of any rainbow color).
2) I also tried to stack one thin rectangle as source (set non-zero initial value) on the top of rectangle of my sample. But the sample show dark blue which means zero . It doesn't make sense since the sample should absorb some light.

The answer may be really simple, but I cannot get any help from my working environment. So I would really appreciate you help! Thanks,

1 Reply Last Post 14 août 2011, 04:32 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 août 2011, 04:32 UTC−4
Hi

indeed its good to start with a simple example (and to run the examples in the model library). from what I understand you seem to have no "source" of EM energy, ou need to have a radiating source in there defined i.e by a voltage.

read trhough some of the simple RF or optics examples

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed its good to start with a simple example (and to run the examples in the model library). from what I understand you seem to have no "source" of EM energy, ou need to have a radiating source in there defined i.e by a voltage. read trhough some of the simple RF or optics examples -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.