Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule Heating Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I've been doing some joule heating simulations and I noticed something interesting/troubling. The results I get from the Joule Heating module differ from those that I get from using the Electric Currents and Heat Transfer modules in parallel. I've noticed this with the complex part I am investigating as well as with a very simple rod. The Joule Heating module simulations give temperatures that are roughly double those from the Electric Currents/Heat Transfer simulations, and the Electric Currents/Heat Transfer simulations are giving the results that closer to what is expected. Can anyone explain why this is? I would like to be able to explain why I am going with one set of results over another with something other than "because it seems more correct."

I've only been able to test this on version 4.0a.

1 Reply Last Post 14 août 2011, 12:07 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 août 2011, 12:07 UTC−4
Hi

be aware that there were a few formula errors (i.e missing factorss of 2) in the early v4.0 version, my suggestion is to use the latest version/patch, far more stable and less frustrating ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi be aware that there were a few formula errors (i.e missing factorss of 2) in the early v4.0 version, my suggestion is to use the latest version/patch, far more stable and less frustrating ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.