Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Custom Drug release plot for tds

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am working with the transport of diluted species module. I have an implant that will release a drug into the eye. The drug will then diffuse through the eye.

I however need to implement a plot for the drug release from the implant into the eye. The plot gives the implant drug concentration at all times. It starts at 1[mg/cm^3] and reduces over time. The change in the concentration inside the implant is the amount of drug that has been released into the eye.

I have the plot for the implant drug concentration and need to implement it at the boundary beween the implant and the eye.

2 Replies Last Post 5 nov. 2018, 11:47 UTC−5

Posted: 6 years ago 5 nov. 2018, 07:32 UTC−5

Hi,

and need to implement it at the boundary beween the implant and the eye.

What exactly do you mean by "at the boundary"? Do you want to display the (average) concentration along the boundary between implant and eye? For this you can use a probe. Component>definitions>rightclick>probes>boundary probe and then select the boundary between implant and eye.

Hope this helps!

Best, Tobias

Hi, > and need to implement it at the boundary beween the implant and the eye. What exactly do you mean by "at the boundary"? Do you want to display the (average) concentration along the boundary between implant and eye? For this you can use a probe. Component>definitions>rightclick>probes>boundary probe and then select the boundary between implant and eye. Hope this helps! Best, Tobias

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 5 nov. 2018, 11:47 UTC−5
Updated: 6 years ago 6 nov. 2018, 13:32 UTC−5

Hello Inayeth,

Since you have a single graph for the concentration in the implant, I presume that the concentration in the implant is spatially independent. If that's so, then you can deduce the total amount of drug in the implant by multiplying by the volume of the implant, and the total flux into the eye is then minus the time-derivative of that. Assuming that the flow of drug from the implant into the eye is also spatially independent, you can compute that flux per unit area by dividing the total flux by the surface area, and enter that into COMSOL as a boundary condition.

In the above, I have assumed that you have an analytical expression for the concentration in the implant and can differentiate it analytically. If do no have such an expression, you could obtain one by curve fitting, for instance.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Inayeth, Since you have a single graph for the concentration in the implant, I presume that the concentration in the implant is spatially independent. If that's so, then you can deduce the total amount of drug in the implant by multiplying by the volume of the implant, and the total flux into the eye is then minus the time-derivative of that. Assuming that the flow of drug from the implant into the eye is also spatially independent, you can compute that flux per unit area by dividing the total flux by the surface area, and enter that into COMSOL as a boundary condition. In the above, I have assumed that you have an analytical expression for the concentration in the implant and can differentiate it analytically. If do no have such an expression, you could obtain one by curve fitting, for instance. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.