Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasticity in Multibody Dynamics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to implement a rotating ring and a cube, that gets in contact with the ring and adds friction. This should happen with plastic deformation. So far I understand that one cannot combine plasticity in solid mechanics with multibody dynamics via multiphysics but with an attechment node and joint. But I have problems with assigning the domains to both solid mechanics and multibody dynamics at the same time. So my question is, how do I assign the domains that I have rotation (multibody dynamics) and plastic deformation (solid mechanics) in my model?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 7 sept. 2018, 08:35 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 5 sept. 2018, 14:23 UTC−4

Hi,

A domain should be active either in the Multibody Dynamics interface or in the Solid Mechanics interface, but not both. If you need to model contact, both contacting domains must be in the same interface. Since you need plasticity, this means the Solid Mechanics interface.

There is however no reason why you cannot put the rotating domain in the Solid Mechanics interface. It is even possible to have a model where all domains use Solid Mechanics, and only the joints are picked from Multibody Dynamics.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, A domain should be active either in the Multibody Dynamics interface or in the Solid Mechanics interface, but not both. If you need to model contact, both contacting domains must be in the same interface. Since you need plasticity, this means the Solid Mechanics interface. There is however no reason why you cannot put the rotating domain in the Solid Mechanics interface. It is even possible to have a model where all domains use Solid Mechanics, and only the joints are picked from Multibody Dynamics. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago 7 sept. 2018, 08:35 UTC−4

Hello Hendrik,

thanks a lot for your quick answer. I have a follow up question. If I want to put the rotating domain in the Solid Mechanics interface, do I rotate the part via rigid connection or what would be the best way?

Regards,

Kant

Hello Hendrik, thanks a lot for your quick answer. I have a follow up question. If I want to put the rotating domain in the Solid Mechanics interface, do I rotate the part via rigid connection or what would be the best way? Regards, Kant

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.