Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply a time dependent sinusoidal body load?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a solid mechanics module + time dependent study. How can I apply a sinusoidal time dependent load (to simulate sinusoidal base excitation)?

-------------------
P.C.

4 Replies Last Post 23 août 2018, 10:58 UTC−4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 22 août 2018, 17:14 UTC−4

BEFORE doing a time dependent study- find out whether a frequency dependent (sinusoidal steady state) analysis is sufficient.

Sinusoidal steady state is easier to set up and almost always converges.

BEFORE doing a time dependent study- find out whether a frequency dependent (sinusoidal steady state) analysis is sufficient. Sinusoidal steady state is easier to set up and almost always converges.

Posted: 6 years ago 22 août 2018, 17:18 UTC−4
Updated: 6 years ago 22 août 2018, 17:18 UTC−4

@D Greve, thanks for the reply.

Hi I am looking for nonlinear (geometric) large deflection response and I think time dependent would be most apt.

I am trying to apply the load (base excitation) as a body force (as shown in the snapshot attacked to my 1st post). Any suggestions?

-------------------
P.C.
@D Greve, thanks for the reply. Hi I am looking for nonlinear (geometric) large deflection response and I think time dependent would be most apt. I am trying to apply the load (base excitation) as a body force (as shown in the snapshot attacked to my 1st post). Any suggestions?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 23 août 2018, 07:22 UTC−4

You can type a mathematical expression like the one in your screenshot, but the variable for time is "t", not "time".

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
You can type a mathematical expression like the one in your screenshot, but the variable for time is "t", not "time". Best, Jeff

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 23 août 2018, 10:58 UTC−4

Hi I am looking for nonlinear (geometric) large deflection response

In that case I agree you will need to do time dependent analysis.

Be aware that the system may take a very long time to reach steady state if it is lightly damped. Running a very long time-dependent simulation takes considerable computation time and may diverge.

> Hi I am looking for nonlinear (geometric) large deflection response In that case I agree you will need to do time dependent analysis. Be aware that the system may take a very long time to reach steady state if it is lightly damped. Running a very long time-dependent simulation takes considerable computation time and may diverge.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.