Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot Farfield on an XY rectangular plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

x-axis: Theta y-axis: Gain [dBi] cut: phi=0

How can I do this? Soooo frustrated?

-------------------
Tuli

1 Reply Last Post 24 août 2018, 21:26 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 24 août 2018, 21:26 UTC−4
Updated: 6 years ago 24 août 2018, 21:31 UTC−4

Yes, there is a simple way to do this. It works a little like a polar plot (in regard to choosing a normal to the plane, and a reference direction), once you do the initial set up. Here is how you do it Cartesian-style: 1. In the Model Builder, right-click Results, and choose "1D Plot Group." 2. Right-click on the "1D Plot Group " and choose "More Plots..." and then "Far Field" 3. In the Settings Column, click on the expansion arrow for "Evaluation." There, you can choose number of angles and the direction of the normal to the planar cut (e.g., for an XY plane, put a 1 in the z: box and zeros in the others.) But for a ZX plane (which I think is what you want), put a 1 in the y: box and zeros in the others. You can choose a reference vector direction (in 3-space) too, which will correspond to the angle=0 in the plot. I suggest you choose a reference direction perpendicular to your normal vector. 4. Note: If you want to plot Gain in dBi, be sure to modify the expression to be plotted from Comsol's default setting. I usually prefer to plot emw.rGaindBEfar.

Enjoy!

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Yes, there is a simple way to do this. It works a little like a polar plot (in regard to choosing a normal to the plane, and a reference direction), once you do the initial set up. Here is how you do it Cartesian-style: 1. In the Model Builder, right-click Results, and choose "1D Plot Group." 2. Right-click on the "1D Plot Group " and choose "More Plots..." and then "Far Field" 3. In the Settings Column, click on the expansion arrow for "Evaluation." There, you can choose number of angles and the direction of the normal to the planar cut (e.g., for an XY plane, put a 1 in the z: box and zeros in the others.) But for a ZX plane (which I think is what you want), put a 1 in the y: box and zeros in the others. You can choose a reference vector direction (in 3-space) too, which will correspond to the angle=0 in the plot. I suggest you choose a reference direction perpendicular to your normal vector. 4. Note: If you want to plot Gain in dBi, be sure to modify the expression to be plotted from Comsol's default setting. I usually prefer to plot emw.rGaindBEfar. Enjoy!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.