Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Light Extinction Property of a Silver Nanoparticle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on extinction and plasmonic simulation for nanoparticles. I have a working 3D model of the nanoparticle (silver) using references from various Comsol models based on light and nanoparticles interaction. I was hoping to convert the 3D to 2D to perform faster simulations (because I want to run multiple simulations by changing various parameters).

My issue is the units for sigma_ext (extinction), sigma_sc (scattering), and sigma_abs (absoprtion) conversion from m^2 to m. I think this is the issue messing up the graphical response, because my graphs for ext, sc, and abs are showing peaks in the E-06 m (E-12 m^2) range but should have peaks in the E-14 range, and an abscent of a minor second peak for larger nanoparticle sizes. Is there anyway to fix this issue in 2D? Examples of this are in sheet 1 of the attached excel file.

Additionally, the main fix in the 3D model was to add 1.33 to the water material refractive index surrounding the nanoparticle, and to also add 1.33 to the electric field equation ( E0exp(-jemw.k01.33x) ). I've tried applying the same fix to the 2D model, but it caused worse alterations in the wavlengths. As of right now, keeping the refractive index for the 2D model at 1.00 creates the closest results compared to the 3D with 1.33. Examples of this are in sheet 2 of the attache excel file.

I've attached an excel sheet from the derived data sample of the 2D model, and included the 3D and 2D COMSOL models. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response, Eric

1 Reply Last Post 10 août 2018, 12:51 UTC−4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 10 août 2018, 12:51 UTC−4

Eric,

You are solving two different problems: scattering off a spherical particle and scattering off an infinitly long cylindrical particle. Not sure I understand how you can compare the results of two different problems?

Regards

Sergei

Eric, You are solving two different problems: scattering off a spherical particle and scattering off an infinitly long cylindrical particle. Not sure I understand how you can compare the results of two different problems? Regards Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.