Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Automatic Remeshing for Moving Meshes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

According to the release notes, version 4.2 is supposed to have a new automatic remeshing feature for moving meshes:

"For a simulation that includes a moving mesh, a new automatic remeshing feature makes more extreme deformation states possible. When the mesh is deformed beyond a user-defined mesh quality threshold, the automatic remeshing activates, and the simulation is automatically continued, starting from the new mesh."

However, I am working with a fluid-structure interaction model, and I can't seem to get this feature to work nor find any mention of it in the documentation or help files. Has anybody tried this out?

Thanks,
John

4 Replies Last Post 23 juil. 2013, 12:43 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello John

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 août 2011, 03:21 UTC−4
I checked that in the different user's guides of version 4.2 the words "automatic remeshing" do not appear !!!
Nor does there exist any example model connected with it.
The release note seems to correspond to a future release ??

I checked that in the different user's guides of version 4.2 the words "automatic remeshing" do not appear !!! Nor does there exist any example model connected with it. The release note seems to correspond to a future release ??

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 août 2011, 14:05 UTC−4
I am also looking for some help with the feature.

Well, I found the auto-remeshing option in the version 4.2 (it can be activated in Time Dependent study step -> Settings -> Extension). Adaptive remeshing function is also there.

But I can not get it work for moving mesh interfaces:
- in dg (deformed geometry) interface, after the condition for remeshing is reached, solver stops with the error "duplicate variable names xXm, yXm, xYm, yYm".
- in ale (moving mesh) interface other errors connected to generation of new mesh come out, e.g. "intersecting edge elements", "could not reach minimal mesh quality" etc.

The example suggested from the COMSOL team is the copper deposition model in electrodeposition module, but in the electrodeposition module you do not need dg or ale, because moving mesh is built-in in this module and it works well.

Has anyone managed to get it work properly with dg or ale?
I am also looking for some help with the feature. Well, I found the auto-remeshing option in the version 4.2 (it can be activated in Time Dependent study step -> Settings -> Extension). Adaptive remeshing function is also there. But I can not get it work for moving mesh interfaces: - in dg (deformed geometry) interface, after the condition for remeshing is reached, solver stops with the error "duplicate variable names xXm, yXm, xYm, yYm". - in ale (moving mesh) interface other errors connected to generation of new mesh come out, e.g. "intersecting edge elements", "could not reach minimal mesh quality" etc. The example suggested from the COMSOL team is the copper deposition model in electrodeposition module, but in the electrodeposition module you do not need dg or ale, because moving mesh is built-in in this module and it works well. Has anyone managed to get it work properly with dg or ale?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 avr. 2012, 12:46 UTC−4
I get the same error in dg, could anyone shed some light on this?
I get the same error in dg, could anyone shed some light on this?

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 juil. 2013, 12:43 UTC−4

I am also looking for some help with the feature.

Well, I found the auto-remeshing option in the version 4.2 (it can be activated in Time Dependent study step -> Settings -> Extension). Adaptive remeshing function is also there.

But I can not get it work for moving mesh interfaces:
- in dg (deformed geometry) interface, after the condition for remeshing is reached, solver stops with the error "duplicate variable names xXm, yXm, xYm, yYm".
- in ale (moving mesh) interface other errors connected to generation of new mesh come out, e.g. "intersecting edge elements", "could not reach minimal mesh quality" etc.

The example suggested from the COMSOL team is the copper deposition model in electrodeposition module, but in the electrodeposition module you do not need dg or ale, because moving mesh is built-in in this module and it works well.

Has anyone managed to get it work properly with dg or ale?

I get the same errors, namely- "intersecting edge elements". Has anybody found solution to this problem ?
[QUOTE] I am also looking for some help with the feature. Well, I found the auto-remeshing option in the version 4.2 (it can be activated in Time Dependent study step -> Settings -> Extension). Adaptive remeshing function is also there. But I can not get it work for moving mesh interfaces: - in dg (deformed geometry) interface, after the condition for remeshing is reached, solver stops with the error "duplicate variable names xXm, yXm, xYm, yYm". - in ale (moving mesh) interface other errors connected to generation of new mesh come out, e.g. "intersecting edge elements", "could not reach minimal mesh quality" etc. The example suggested from the COMSOL team is the copper deposition model in electrodeposition module, but in the electrodeposition module you do not need dg or ale, because moving mesh is built-in in this module and it works well. Has anyone managed to get it work properly with dg or ale? [/QUOTE] I get the same errors, namely- "intersecting edge elements". Has anybody found solution to this problem ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.